1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Going to hatch on Friday need a bit of hlep

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mcmommy, Apr 20, 2009.

1. mcmommy

mcmommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Hi, our 10 eggs are supposed to start hatching on friday. we have them at a mission and no one will be there on sat and sun. can i safely get the incubator in my car and get them home.(about 8 miles) also, no one is there at night... is that ok? i guess i may be putting to human a spin on this (you know liking waiting for a child to come) let me know and thank you! this is gonna be so so fun.

2. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    Are you moving them home today or tomorrow? I think as long as the temp doesn't get too low on the ride until you can plug bator back in and I would also put eggs in a carton inside the bator for the ride, you should be ok, but I would not move them after tomorrow.....also, you said no one there at night?? no one at mission or at home at night??? they are fine to hatch and will be fine in the bator by themselves for up to 48 hours, but normally 24 I think is when folks put them in a brooder....don't forget to get the humidity up for the last 3 days....and don't move them or open bator....tempting as it is [​IMG]

3. mcmommy

Apr 19, 2009
    hi, no there would always be someone home at my house at night, no one at the mission during the evening and then zero people on the weekend. I am there tomorrow, so that may be the time when I bring them home? so your saying they shouldnt' be moved after tomorrow?

4. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    no on day 19, 20 & 21 they should not be moved and you need to increase the humidity in the bator if you can....I put a damp wash cloth in mine, I have a still air LG - move them tomorrow at the latest and put a blanket over the bator for the ride and be sure to plug in right when you get home and then leave them to hatch!! good luck and keep us updated!!

5. mcmommy

Apr 19, 2009
    got it! your awesome for helping! will keep posted [​IMG][​IMG]

6. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I just wanted to add good luck with your eggs. I have 22 in the bator to start hatching on Friday too. [​IMG]

7. mcmommy

Apr 19, 2009
    Overrun ~ good luck to you too! Fingers crossed and prayers up top!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by