Going to look at a horse tomorrow

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chick_a_dee, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    We went to the auction the other night, and didn't buy anything, but we'd seen a Belgian mare for sale online a couple weeks ago, and decided to call them. We're going tomorrow to see her tomorrow at 5pm, there is someone else looking at her at 4pm, but the lady said she wouldn't let her go if she didn't think the people were suited to her.

She's a 17.3hh Belgian mare, with a fine bone structure and a very elegant look. She was backed western, but has been ridden english for a few years now, she hasn't been ridden since the spring when the womans husband injured himself badly and wasn't able to work anymore, they have now been forced to sell their 100+ acre farm due to his accident.

They want 700 for her, because they're moving really soon and she's one of the last of their horses to sell. She's quiet, with a quiet mouth, has been used on trails etc. Her only problem is she isn't fond of having her feet cleaned, but our old Haflinger X Belgian gelding was the same way, so we're quite used to it. She'd be the perfect size for me, and I'm hoping to give her a whirl tomorrow on the ladies farm, see how we ride together. Also, they're not sure but she might be in foal to a Paint Stallion, which would be a bonus. If we get her, her name would be changed to Mischief Managed [​IMG]

I hope she doesn't sell, I've got school in 7:20-2:30 and I'm being picked up so we can make our way to go and see her an hour away. Wish me luck!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  2. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Good luck, she sounds like a good horse [​IMG]

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Good luck. That's a pretty big mare.

4. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:Haha yes, pretty big... but i'm almost 6' and I weigh 250lbs, so I'm a big girl (not too overweight, just a bit...im big boned, literally!) and I used to ride a 17.3hh Hanovarian Mare that was trained by Ian Miller, she was about 15 when I rode her, but she hadn't been ridden in almost 5 years when I started to ride her, but she was great..and she was the old warhorse build, very powerful.

5. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Good luck! She sounds perfect for you.
    Most can be worked with and come to tolerate feet being cleaned out when you need to, so that shouldn't be a biggie.
    Please let us know if you end up getting her and post pics!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:Yeah, there's a blacksmith by us who only works with drafts, so we'd be working with her ourself, and having the blacksmith work with her when he comes, since he's used to working with drafts who are touchy with their feet.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:Haha yes, pretty big... but i'm almost 6' and I weigh 250lbs, so I'm a big girl (not too overweight, just a bit...im big boned, literally!) and I used to ride a 17.3hh Hanovarian Mare that was trained by Ian Miller, she was about 15 when I rode her, but she hadn't been ridden in almost 5 years when I started to ride her, but she was great..and she was the old warhorse build, very powerful.

You just brought back memories of Ian Miller and his horse, Big Ben-who I think was the greatest jumper of my time. What a perfect match that was.

8. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    I went to look at the big girl today, I rode her for a little while and she's really great. There was another family there looking at her, and I think we're going to pass her up because I'd feel more comfortable with a few months of lessons under my belt buying a large horse like her, but for someone who hasn't ridden in 4 years I did pretty good [​IMG] I remembered all my training! AND I had to do all my english work in a WESTERN SADDLE that was too small for me, haha! with one short stirrup!

9. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Oh, I just love big horses!! Post some pics if it all works out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by