1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Going to process our first bird

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by g&h farm, Jun 13, 2011.

1. g&h farm

g&h farm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    Brooksville, Fl
    Ok so our roo has gotten wayy too pushey with our girls, the other day he was on my little girls and when I found him on one of my turkey babies, that was it! I plucked him right off her back and in the cage he went. So tomorrow is the day. While I am at work my D.H. will be taking him down the road to joion the neighborhood men in a chicken processing party, lol. My part will be cooking him. Im planning chicken and dumplings. He is about a year old maybe less E.E. Do I need to let him rest in the fridge or can I cook him tomorrow night? He looks to be a big boy, I cant wait to see how big he is.[​IMG]

2. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Good luck! I hope everything goes well and that he turns out to be delicious. I did my first bird today and it's sitting in the fridge resting as we speak. The consensus seems to be to let the bird rest and to not eat it the same day. Check out this thread . Please let us know how everything goes!

3. g&h farm

g&h farm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    Brooksville, Fl
    Well its done. He is brining in the fridge, to be made into chicken and dumplings tomrrow night. [​IMG]

4. hudsonnascarfan

hudsonnascarfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    g&h farm :

Well its done. He is brining in the fridge, to be made into chicken and dumplings tomrrow night. [​IMG]

id give him a few days in the fridg if hes a year old to help tender him up a little​

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I bet he will be delicious!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by