Going to process two 19 week old DP roosters today!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by booker81, Aug 21, 2010.

1. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Two more boys have hit the "naughty list" and are sitting in the green mile (dog crate with water) since last night to get ready to get sent to freezer camp. One is a SLW, one is a RIR. The SLW is a big 'un, I'm thinking he may go 4 or 5lbs.

Any interest in pictures of processing again, and what non meatie chickens look like at this age?

2. Jared77

Jared77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Howell, MI
    PLEASE!!!! Im curious to see how the SLW comes out. My wife wants me to go that route for our dual purpose flock so I'm curious to see your results before you take the plunge. Live weights vs carcass weights and pics would be great if your so inclined

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I recently butchered a 24 month Am roo. Carcass weight was almost 5 lbs. I cooked him for dinner last night and honestly it was one of the best tasting birds I've had.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:ok Katy now you have to share how you cooked it! how long and with what seasoning??

5. booker81

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Before:
    [​IMG]

After!:
    [​IMG]

They both ended up at 4lbs+ on my bathroom scale. Excuse the lighting in the kitchen as well. Can't tell much of a difference, but the one on the left is the SLW, and the right is the RIR (in the sink). Same age - 19 weeks today. [​IMG]

I have them in the fridge in a salt water soak, resting. [​IMG]

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:wow nice job I hope they are tasttttyyyy

7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:ok Katy now you have to share how you cooked it! how long and with what seasoning??

spatchcocked (cut the back bone out, open bird like a book and press flat)

oven on 500 degrees (yes 500)

non stick spray in a pan big enough for bird and vegies
    put bird in, surround with vegis (last night I used parsnips, yellow pear tomatoes(prick holes in tomatoes) and marinated artichoke hearts)
    drizzle with oil (last night I used the oil from artichoke jar but olive or grapeseed oil is great)
    pour a cup or two of chicken broth (or one of broth, one of white wine) over bird and vegies
    season (last night I used cavenders)
    bake uncovered for 30 min, then rest for 10 (last night I cooked for 40 min due to bird size) the resting is important.
    if you want to use the drippings serve over rice, or as I did save them for awesome soup base later in week.
    [​IMG] you will love me if you try it

8. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:I like 19 week dp birds! Very yummy!

Where did you get the skin you used to tie up the legs? Is it neck skin?

9. booker81

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Nope, it's the....butt skin! LOL!

I kinda cheat/do things backwards or do it different, depends on how you view it. This time, I cut the tail off and then cut around the vent and freed up the vent and attaching gut. Then I cut a slice about an inch above, and use that as the hole to reach in and pull the guts and stuff out. Once I'm done and he's all washed and clean, I can slip the legs under the skin flap and it will hold the legs together [​IMG]

10. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:Thanks for explaining. I think i almost get it. I also think you should make video. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by