going to raise some 4H broilers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by rhoda_bruce, Sep 11, 2010.

1. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    my neice is public schooled and I will get her to obtain some broilers for me to fill my freezer. They will cost me 12.00 for 25 chicks. I think I will use 4 or 5 sacks of feed in the 6 weeks before its time to show them. We won't show them because its not run fairly and the winners of the contest will actually be getting their chicks within the next 3 to 4 weeks by mail from a hatchery, but I do like the prices of the 4H chicks, so I'm taking advantage of it.
    Assuming I will use 4 sacks of feed, I figure it will cost me 2.40 per bird to slaughter. But I am thinking on buying a grinder and making my own. Its not like this will be the last time. I am trying to figure if I can go for under 2.00 per bird. What ya'll think. If I get the grinder, I don't feel I need to add that into the cost of the bird, because its an asset that I can reuse or sell.

2. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    We have 17 broilers for 4-H and the 4 bags of feed won't work. We started at about a 50lb bag a week for the first 3 weeks and now at 6 weeks are up to 2 bags a week. Our fair is in another week and a half so we will probally use 3 more bags before butchering time. These birds are eating machines and if you want them to grow properly don't skimp on their feed.

3. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Mine will get supplemented with grass and be given some grains as soon as they can manage, because I'm not interested in buying ready made feed so very much, but I might get a grinder. I can wait an additional 2 weeks for growth if needed, but by 10 weeks they will all be tended to for sure. If I can obtain slaughter weight in an affordable way, its wonderful, because I have no intention on bringing my neice to the competition, except if I teach her how to BBQ the chicken halfs for a different competition. I get the chickens on Oct 28th. I have no idea when the competition is. But I am sure I will have the job finished by the end of the year. No worries. I am going for it anyway. I will keep records and see how affordable I can make my broiler project work out for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by