Going to roost failures...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by brennant, Nov 13, 2009.

1. brennant

brennant Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Tacoma WA
    Last night I had my 4 out in the back yard while I cleaned up some leaves from our last windy day... it was getting dark, and I noticed the tone of the chirping (they are about 10 wks old) had changed. I walked over to watch what was up. All 4 of the girls were on their way back to the coop. So far, when I am outside, I would pick them up and put them back in the coop one by one when the run was not finished. Now that everything is done, I left the run gate open for them to go back into the coop.

Back at the coop... the main door is closed. All 4 stood around staring at that for a minute or two... some pecking involved.

One of my BOs decides that the window is the next option to get in (mind you the run gate is a foot away)... she flew up to the window and pecked... no good.

The other three watched this with some interest. (Also, pecking at the ground was of interest too)

Next the other BO I have came to me to jump in my arms! (take me in! it's dark!) That was cute. I stopped her from that and pointed her toward the gate. She is still confused.

Finally the BO that jumped up to the window, jumped down and rounded to the gate and went in. The other three are still confused. Where do we go?

I gave in, and put the other three in the run... and finally they made the connection to the coop door. Mind you, the first BO is now in the desired spot on the roost next to the window. Ha! [​IMG]

Always something interesting with the chickens!

2. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Doesn't it just make you wonder what's going on in their little chicken minds? You should have held out, though! I started the bad habit of opening the people door to let mine in, and now, while they'll buzz in and out of the chicken door all day, they STILL wait for me to open the big door to go to sleep XD

3. brennant

brennant Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Tacoma WA
    Besides just being funny... I was surprised at how their behavior started to change when it was time to roost for the night. It was like they were telling each other it was time to roost.

The one trying to jump into my arms was the funniest... "I'm ready for you to pick me up now..."[​IMG]

4. raroo

raroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Bed time is usually a big deal for my birds too. Lots of bickering, fighting over favorite roosting spots, occasional falling off roosts, pecking at others as they walk by, squawking and complaining. They have more than enough roosting room, too. But they fight about it every night for a good 20 minutes until they finally get settled down. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by