Going to sell a few silkie chicks. How much?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jossanne, May 16, 2009.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I've got 5 silkie chicks that came from eggs that I bought from a BYC member. They are going to be nice-looking, but not all pure colors. There are two white, non-bearded babies, two partridge (I think they're a pair) and a buff with smutty wings. Shape-wise, they should be quite fluffy with large crests and well-feathered legs/feet.

I'm thinking that $5 is a fair price to ask for these chicks. They hatched April 1 and 2, so they're just over 6 weeks old. What do you think? Too much? Too little?

Now a little background on where I live...

I live in an area where silkies are uncommon, and there are no breeders of any show-quality birds anywhere. Everyone gets their chicks from the feed store in town, or mail-order from the hatcheries. I have a neighbor who was selling already-laying pullets for $10 apiece, and I heard multiple people complaining about the price. "Can you believe $10 for a chicken???" Anyway, it was ridiculous that people would balk at such a low price for a laying hen.

2. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    I would say $1.75 per chick

3. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    I agree with $5 each. Im going thru the same thing. I bought a pure white hen with her 10 all white babies & im only planning to keep 3. Im selling mine at $5 each.

4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Quote:Really? Day-old silkies from a hatchery are over $3, and I've fed these for 6+ weeks. Why would you say so little?

5. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    yeah i dont agree with the $1.75 per chick for silkies. people in my area sell the female year olds for $10-$25 each. At the local feed store all other basic chicks are $3 each.

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Try to find out what the market will bear in your area. and price them accordingly.

AL

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Silkie chicks sell for $5.00 around here too. If they are older they are more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by