1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

going to sell my incubators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dustponds10, Sep 4, 2010.

1. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Well I dont htink that I have the patience to try to hatch in the HOvabator any more. I hatched 3 chickens, 2 peacocks, and a turkey. None were good percentages but I at least got a few birds. I am going to do a ton more research and hopefully return to the incubation game. I have chicks that develope I have tried dry method, with humidity and what not and no success. Could this be trying to hatch to late in the year? Not sure, maybe because the chickens I have have been inbred for a while? Not sure but Hovabator is going for sure. Last hatch chicks must have died around day 15 because they still had large egg sacks. Frustration has set in.
    Will a hen go broody in the fall months?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I hatch all winter so time of year has nothing to do with it.

3. UGAchick

UGAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Athens, GA
    I have a broody right now, but in GA it is still pretty warm.

4. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I wish you were close to me I have used a hova all summer and have had some really good hatches I started at 30% in febuary with shipped eggs the last coupla hatches have been 100% the one I am using came from a reptile guy he sold it for $20

5. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    I have broody hens all year long , just this morning took 3 silkie chicks from a black star hen and will take probably 2 more tomorrow
    I took her eggs as she started and replaced with the silkie eggs ,
    get a wood incubator , I have 2 , getting set up for next spring .

6. Madcap621

Madcap621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Quote:Is your Hovabator a forced air [w/a fan]? My first one wasn't and I had trouble w/it. After adding a computer fan [good instructions in Incubator section] I have had really good hatches. Don't give up! [​IMG]

7. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    I am not going to give up at all, I have invested some money into some genetic hackle chickens so I am going to stick it out but I am also thinking of buying an incubator that is more stable and up to date per say. I think I am going to go with a Dickie. Going to spend some money but I hope that it will pay off in the spring. Who knows though. The incubator doesnt have a fan in it. I think the chicks are dying when the temp drops to low when the barometer drops and I have no control over that at all, so I am going to get a bator that has a preset thremastat that is electric and not a waffer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by