Going to set our first eggs in Jan... ADVICE

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WindDancer, Dec 2, 2009.

1. WindDancer

WindDancer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Farmer City, IL
    Hello, we FINALLY have a bator [​IMG] YAY [​IMG] We are looking to set eggs to hatch around Feb 1. We have ordered 25 from McMurrary that'll be here that week and we'd like to set eggs to be hatched around the same time...

Any advice for a newbe??? When should I start holding eggs back for hatching? How many should I hold? When should I set them in bator? What is lockdown?? Any special suggestions??

Thanks in advance guys (and gals) !!

[​IMG]

2. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Chickens take 21 days to hatch- Based on a Hatch Date of Feb 1- you would want to set the incubator up on the Jan 10th (to Make Sure Temp/Humidity Stablize), add eggs on Jan 11.

Lockdown -(Incubation Day 18) = Fill water containers in Bator, Raise Humidity, and stop Turning eggs! Now don't open Bator until hatched.

Don't know how many eggs your incubator holds, so can't tell you how many to set.
    I am not sure how many you want or need so I can't tell when to start holding eggs either.

here is some helpful links to help you get started.......

How to care for hatching eggs:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=35816

To intervene or not to intervene:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=45583&p=1

If intervention is necessary as a last resort:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9316

A hatch from start to finish with candling pics:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261876

3. WindDancer

May 15, 2009
    Farmer City, IL
    we are thinking about hatching a dozen or so. The bator hold 42 eggs. We are only wanting to hatch a dozen the first time because we have ordered 25 from McMurrary.

4. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    If you're hatching your own eggs, and it sounds like you are, take a look at them as you use them before you start collecting for hatch. Look for the "bullseye" in the white spot on the yolk to see if your eggs are fertile, or if certain hens are laying more fertile eggs than others. That way, you'll have a better idea of which eggs to save for hatching.

5. sangel4you

sangel4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    I guess my question would be if you have all the same breed, how do you KNOW which hen laid which eggs? Do you seriously sit around and watch them lay? My 5 girls have been laying for 4 months now, and I haven't yet seen any of them actually lay!

6. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    LOL...Guess I don't have enough to do! Had two of my girls come and get me when they were ready to lay their first eggs this week. I have around 200 birds counting babies, but only a dozen or fifteen of them are currently laying...But I hang around with my birds during the day, and usually they let me know when they've laid an egg -- Some of mine have their own favorite spots to put their eggs. Some will only lay in one particular nest box and you'll see them either see them coming or going, or they'll come and look at me pointedly and do the egg song. So I generally know who laid what egg. Even among the same breed they're usually different...My sister can tell particular birds' eggs (of my birds) if not by the shell, when she opens them. They have different characteristics inside, too.

7. WindDancer

May 15, 2009
    Farmer City, IL
    We hvae seen the bullseye on several... I have at least ONE hen that is laying failthfully but I am not sure if it's the RIR, or the Comet LOL. In our main coop, we have 5 RIR hens, 1 RIR rooster, 2 NHR cockerals and a comet hen. We are going to build a 2nd coop like we have now for the NHR. We are planning on having 12 hens and a roo in each of the big coops. When we ordered from McMurrary, we ordered enough to fill the NHR coop and some to finish out my RIR coop. The comet, Peanut, will just hang around. In total we ordered 25 from McMurrary plus the rare chick (I am so anxious to see what that one is!!) Might have to have a coop just for my Rares LOL

We were thinking of setting eggs Jan 11. Hatch around Feb 1. Someone said to start the bator the 10th so we can get it all right.. what are the temps and humidity we need in there.. any suggestions on a thermometer thingy for the bator.. can I find something at walmart or pet store??

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by