Going to the feed store today, what should I get?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Southern28Chick, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    My girls are 18 weeks old. I have maybe 5 pounds of start n grow left. I buy the feed 100 pounds at a time since I have to drive 30 minutes to get to the feed store. Should I get more start n grow or go ahead and get layer? I don't want to be stuck with 100 pounds of start n grow if my girls start laying in the next week or so.

Also, my 1 year old roo is eating whatever the girls eat. I have 50 pounds of "rooster buster" for him but he wants to eat the girls feed and they want to eat his. Should I just mix the 2 feeds?

2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I'd switch to layer. They are old enough now...I usually switch mine at about 16 weeks or so. Your girls should start laying pretty soon now! [​IMG]

My rooster eats whatever the girls eat.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I agree.....get the layer...you can mix it all together...start with more of the start and grow than layer, then gradually mix more layer...as for the roster booster....I have never used it...but I would assume...you could mix it in as well.

4. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    If it was me, I'd go ahead and get the layer feed, and mix the rooster booster in until I ran out. Then, I'd just use the layer feed for everyone.

5. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

You might want to get oyster shells, too.

6. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    I bought the layer crumbles...they look the same as the start n grow. I got the crumbles instead of the pellets because of my blind girl (she can't peck at pellets).

My feed store doesn't carry oyster shells. I guess I have to order them online. My feed store thought oyster shells were like grit. Oyster shells are for calcium and harder shells right?

7. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:YOU are absolutely right!

Never ceases to amaze me how uneducated some feed store employees are!!!!!

I'd look for oyster shell from another feed store...maybe call around and see if there's one near where you have some other errands?? They're kinda heavy--you'll get dinged on shipping---any good feed store should have it in stock!

Sandra

8. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:YOU are absolutely right!

Never ceases to amaze me how uneducated some feed store employees are!!!!!

I'd look for oyster shell from another feed store...maybe call around and see if there's one near where you have some other errands?? They're kinda heavy--you'll get dinged on shipping---any good feed store should have it in stock!

Sandra

My problem is the only feed stores around me are Southern States and they don't carry oyster shells. Oh they are building a Tractor Supply but it just has the foundation up right now. I think Tractor Supply has feed. IDK. I just might have to order it for now. What if I feed them egg shells, would that work just the same?

9. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Hard to believe nowhere else sells it, did you ask southern states if they could order it, shipping on 50 lb bag will cost twice what the shelll cost you. Yes you can add shell was a post to microwave or cook in oven to kill any bacteria first, but I dont think shells alone will be enough

10. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    Well since you asked - can you pick me up a couple of things?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by