Going to the feed store today

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 7L Farm, Jan 26, 2011.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I buy 17 % laying pellets & want to up the protein. What should I get to mixs with the laying pellets. The pullets are laying alot of eggs consistantly. 8 eggs a day average from 10 pullets. I'm thinking I'd like to add about 3 % more protein to their diet this would boost the protein to 20 %. I'm having problems with them pecking each others feathers out. Any suggestions before I go. Also, could you give the ratio of how to mixs. The laying pellets come in 50 lb sacks. Thanks in advance.

2. GAGE

GAGE Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    GA
    I mix in 5-8% calf manna as well as a couple pounds of alfalfa pellets in every 50 pounds of layer crumbles.

3. Myabcs3

Myabcs3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Vinland Valley, KS
    GAGE,

I've been considering mixing alfalfa pellets in my feed mix to help with the lack of greens this time of year. Do you find that the alfalfa pellets are too big? Any issues with your flock picking around it? Would love some feedback here!

Thanks!

4. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    Quote:I use scratch grains to increase the protein levels. More this time of year due to the like of foraging.

5. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Chickens only kinda eat rabbit pellets...

YOu might be better off asking at a farmer's market.

6. Kacey's Krazee's

Kacey's Krazee's Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Normangee, Texas
    I switched from Purina Layena to Wendlands. They have a higher protein level than Purina. My girls were also pecking and eating each others feathers badly. ALL of them, not just the those on the bottom of the pecking order. Also, instead of just scratch grains... I give them BOSS seeds in the morning. Now that money is tighter, I am mixing the BOSS in with the scratch to help it go further. (BOSS = black oil sunflower seeds) Since I switched to the Wendlands brand... most of the picking has stopped... but the one on the bottom is still getting pecked... but not sure if it's a habit now, or due to the pecking order now.
    Another good thing about Wendlands... they still use paper bags instead of the poly bags that Purina uses. AND another bonus.... Wendlands is cheaper that Purina !

Kacey

7. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:How much protein will this formula add up to & how do you mixs it into the pellets to be consistent thru out. How many lbs of calf manna to 50 lbs laying pellets. I don't need the alfalfa I don't think because I have a garden full of greens kale ETC.

8. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Evergreen Mills has a 20% laying pellet for the same price as the 17%. That's what we use to offset the "treats." Or you can get a 28% game feed and just throw a couple handfuls in with the regular layer feed each time you refill the feeder.

9. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Kacey's Krazee's :

I switched from Purina Layena to Wendlands. They have a higher protein level than Purina. My girls were also pecking and eating each others feathers badly. ALL of them, not just the those on the bottom of the pecking order. Also, instead of just scratch grains... I give them BOSS seeds in the morning. Now that money is tighter, I am mixing the BOSS in with the scratch to help it go further. (BOSS = black oil sunflower seeds) Since I switched to the Wendlands brand... most of the picking has stopped... but the one on the bottom is still getting pecked... but not sure if it's a habit now, or due to the pecking order now.
    Another good thing about Wendlands... they still use paper bags instead of the poly bags that Purina uses. AND another bonus.... Wendlands is cheaper that Purina !

Kacey

I mixs the boss like you & also throw it to them first thing. I buy my feed from Producers in College Station. They mixs & sell there own brands they won't have wendlands. I'm looking for something to mixs in the pellets to bump the protein.​

10. GAGE

GAGE Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    GA
    Quote:How much protein will this formula add up to & how do you mixs it into the pellets to be consistent thru out. How many lbs of calf manna to 50 lbs laying pellets. I don't need the alfalfa I don't think because I have a garden full of greens kale ETC.

If I remember, the bag calls for up to 10% CM to feed for poultry, so I measure it by the pound and mix it into my crumbles in a big metal trash can. I use a double pvc feeder and never see any CM not eaten, but I mixed in too much alfalfa pellets the first time around, so yes, there was quite a bit of waste from that.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail....rce=froogle&utm_medium=free&utm_content=16731

I mixed 50 lbs. scratch , with 20 pounds of bird seed, 20 pounds of boss, and 50 pounds of 5 grain scratch (gamecock feed), and it is a treat that they get a tleast every other day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by