Going to try again...Few questions :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by phoebeq, May 12, 2010.

1. phoebeq

phoebeq In the Brooder

Dec 14, 2009
    Cotopaxi, Colorado
    I have read the stickies, but I have a few more detailed questions...I want to make sure it goes better this time around [​IMG]

1. I am going to try incubating them in a cardboard carton this time with the end elevated. Do I leave the lid on or do I only use the base? Oh, and how steep of an angle do I need to have the cartons at? There isn't a huge amount of room in the Hova-bator, and I wouldn't want to get them too close the the heating elements...

2. I am using a Hova-bator 1602N. When I turn the eggs, I have to take the entire lid off...will the drop in humidity and temp cause any harm?

3. What is the best thing to use to measure humidity? I live 40 minutes from the nearest walmart and 1 hour 15 minutes from the nearest Petsmart. I am going to the Walmart tomorrow and there is a Home Depot and a Radioshak in town near the Walmart...so I would like to get something at one of these places so that I can start my new batch this weekend.

4. Purely out of cuiousity, what does too much humidity during lockdown do?

5. How often is it safe to candle? Can the whole carton be taken out at this time and left out in a room with an approximate temp of 70 degrees while they are being candled? I would think it would be better than opening and closing the lid 24 times to candle each egg, but I could be wrong.

6. How bad is it to add cold water to the evaporation trays during incubation? I did this last time, and then read that I am supposed to use warm water.

7. I have read that some people put the eggs in a carton for hatching also...do they still need to be elevated at one end or do you lay them flat for lockdown?

That is all I can think of for now...if I come up with anything else, I will add it [​IMG] Thanks a bunch in advance, guys! I REALLY want this next batch to go better than my first [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  2. Papadavid

Papadavid Chirping

Mar 1, 2010
    That's a lot of questions. Can't help you on any of the carton questions, never heard of leaving eggsin the carton to hatch. Candeling should be done on the 8th and 14th day. It will not hurt to leave the lid off for that long. Settin hens get off the nest to eat and drink, and some stay off for up to an hour.You should quit turning them 3 days before hatch date. Hope this helps a little. add on: to much humidity can cause moisture in the egg and drown the chick.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  3. phoebeq

phoebeq In the Brooder

Dec 14, 2009
    Cotopaxi, Colorado
    Quote:Yeah sorry...I just want to make sure I do it right this time [​IMG] That does help, thank you.

Anyone else?

4. kindir

kindir Songster

Aug 27, 2009
    Connecticut
    I just hatched in cartons for my last hatch and you don't have to angle them after day 18. Just make sure the pointy end of the egg is facing down in the carton. I cut the carton top off, and I also cut the sides of the cartons down a bit. It was really nice, they just zipped and popped right out at hatch time - no mess, no rolling around and no egg soccer [​IMG]

5. phoebeq

phoebeq In the Brooder

Dec 14, 2009
    Cotopaxi, Colorado
    Quote:Good to know [​IMG] That helps a lot!

6. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Quote:

7. Julie08

Julie08 Songster

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:

8. phoebeq

phoebeq In the Brooder

Dec 14, 2009
    Cotopaxi, Colorado
    Thanks! That really did help [​IMG]

Camelot...where did you buy the "thingy that measures temp and humidity at the same time"? [​IMG] I am going to check Walmart while I am there...they may have something.

9. Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Vanessabuffsnsilkies Songster

May 26, 2009
    NE Ohio
    So you can incubate in egg cartons? I know you can hatch them in a carton, have stored eggs in a cardboard carton with something underneath one side to elevate it, I didn't know you could put them in the incubator without a turner like that too...

10. phoebeq

phoebeq In the Brooder

Dec 14, 2009
    Cotopaxi, Colorado
    From what I have read, you just elevate one end of the carton and then 3 times a day you turn the entire carton around so that the opposite side is elevated and this "turns" the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by