Going to try again

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by becky3086, Jan 18, 2009.

1. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    though I find it scary to even ask a question now.
    I want to get some broilers this year. Going to get the cornish(no I don't want to hear reasons to get the rangers, I do get it, but I am going to start with the cornish this year). I am wanting to get maybe 25, maybe a few less, haven't decided yet, since I have to do them all myself (no I don't want to hear reason why I can't do that many by myself). What I want to know is when to order. We are in Georgia(north central) but it is still really cold here. Last time I ordered chicks they came in March and I was still worried because it was so cold but they made it fine(ducks). I hate to wait until we get too warm. I am thinking I'd like to order the end of February so I can have them mostly grown before we get hot but I wonder if they can make the trip in the cold.

2. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    My climate is alittle different than yours,but I like to get them at the end of April so they are done before the 4th of July.
    You can order them now and pick the shipping date you want.I waited too long last year and they were constantly out of stock.I end up doing a batch after September,what a mistake.
    Febuary is not that far away and it is extremely cold all-over.I think too cold.Maybe if you consider buying from a hatchery in MO or a warmer state to start with close to you.Good luck Will

3. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I would think they'd be fine to order in February. People all over this site are getting their chickens now, and I haven't seen any posts that the cold's been a problem for shipping. Especially since you live in GA, February seems like a great time. I'm in Michigan and I'm getting mine at the end of March.

4. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Thanks, that is what had gotten me wondering because it seemed like a lot of people were getting theirs now.
    I think April would be a little late here as we will probably have hit 90 degrees by then, lol. Anyway, maybe I will try in between the two, maybe March sometime.

5. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Quote:We are in Virginia but on the NC line. We are going to order in Mid to late Feb. so that we will be butchering in late May to early June. If you order in Feb. Just remember to get a heat lamp so they will stay warm.

We are only doing 30 this year.

Just a note to all::: Murray McMurray Hatchery has a Meat & Egg Combo that you can order. You get 25 birds (15 are Jumbo Cornish Cross and 10 are pullets) We are going to order 2 of these combos. 1 is $48.00 and 2 is $92.00. But it's according to where you live as to how much shipping is. Just thought I would pass this along. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  6. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    I go by the rule anything under 55 degrees I don't put them on pasture. I live in Ohio and about the second week in April is good for me.

So I would say that when you start to get an average night temperature of 55 degrees.

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I'd be pretty nervous to have baby chicks shipped anytime soon.

8. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Mine will be in a pen and I will have a light on them.

9. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Well if you have them in a pen and have light on them any temp is good as long as they have heat. It could be 30 degrees outside with 20 mph winds but as long as they are inside in a pen with heat that doesn't matter. They will be butchered in 8 weeks so it shouldn't matter? You made it clear that you didn't want any advise on how to raise them. It's your choice then when you want to deal with them. Do you want to go out in feed and water in 30 degree temps? Do you want to deal with freezing water?

I think in Georgia you have high enough temps to raise them year round without any problems if your going to do it in a pen.

10. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Yes, I am sure I can raise them after they get here, I just want to make sur they can get here without dying from the cold in the process.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by