Going to try this for the first time. . .need advice

BlossomSilkies

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 29, 2011
Niles, MI
We are going to get 50 Jumbo Cornish Rock Cross from Townline in Michigan.

Anyone have an opinion about this type of bird for meat?

You can get pullets, roos or straight run. I don't care about the cost difference, so what is best to get? I would guess the males get bigger but is bigger better?

They advise to feed broiler starter feed. I don't think I've ever seen this in the store. We have TSC and Rural King here and also some custom blend places that I could look into. What ratios am I looking for here?

And speaking of feed. . .what should I feed to make the best tasting chicken?

I don't have questions about processing since we will not be doing that. We will raise them and then take to the butcher to process.

I'll take any advice I can get about raising them, housing, what to expect, etc.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Yes, I had heard they are eating machines and make a horrible mess so that by the end of 6 or 8 weeks you are more than ready to have them gone. We will have them in their own pen and now I am going to make sure we can move it every couple of days.

Your link just brought me back to the forum page, is there some specific post you were meaning to reference?

I love Cornish X! Wonderfully friendly birds. I always get straight run, because the females grow slower. I tend to process in batches and the females are ready the weekend after the males. Works out good for me. If you want them to grow closer to the same rate, or be bigger quicker, I would go with males.

For feed, everybody will tell you something different. I feed mine 20% Grower crumbles. I let them eat as much as they can finish in an hour in the morning, and in the evening, I give them fermented feed, as much as they can finish in about 20 minutes or so. Fermented feed is great, many health benefits for the birds, and nice sweet meat for you. Check out this thread for some more info on fermenting feed:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/644300/fermenting-feed-for-meat-birds

Cornish don't have to be messy, or smelly. They don't have to have health problems out the wazoo. It's all about how you treat them. This is a great thread also:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-your-cornish-x-meaties-tractors-do-not-count

Have fun with your meaties!

Since this is your first time. Often overlooked is the process to determine what the actual poultry needs are for your family and household. Take the time to calculate your needs for a month and for three months. Beyond that time you may start getting freezer burn. The other item that needs to be a known factor is freezer capacities. It's not that uncommon to come home from the processor with 45 birds (250 pounds) of chicken to find out the big oops that there is only space for 15 to 20 birds. So you pull out the hard earned blueberries and peaches to make space. Good Luck

Yes, good point because although we have a ton of freezer space it's currently full to capacity with beef from a whole cow. We have a lot of people who have showed an interest in buying our raised meaties, so I guess we need to pin them down and get a commitment to take what they want when they are ready.

I raised and butchered some Cornish for the first time this year. Live weight after about 3 months were between 10 and 14 pounds. The hen dressed out at around 7 pounds and the roosters dressed out between 9.5 and 10 pounds.

http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/a/ab/50x50px-ZC-ab14ff83_038.jpeg

I gave them feed in the mornings and late afternoon. Four birds ate as much as my 7 adult birds and 25 young pullets. I kept the Cornish in a separate pen. I fed all the young ones starter feed then grow feed.
Their pen floor was sand with some straw tossed in as well. Their brooder was a child's playpen I found at a yard sale for $10.

Since everything went so well for me, I now have 12 more Cornish baby chicks I got on Aug 8th. I had them in the playpen till they were big enough where they couldn't go through chicken wire. Now they have the run of their own 8'x8' coop. I lined the bottom of the playpen with empty feed sacks and cardboard for easier cleaning. I have a couple of cat/animal carriers with the doors removed in the coop for them, so they have a safe place to go and keep warm if they choose.
After I go through my 100 pounds of starter feed I will probably switch the grow feed from my local feed store or get the start/grow feed from TSC.

Good luck with your meat birds. It's so nice to bring your own meat to the dinner table, knowing how they were raised and what they ate. And the taste is so much better than store bought

I raised and butchered some Cornish for the first time this year. Live weight after about 3 months were between 10 and 14 pounds. The hen dressed out at around 7 pounds and the roosters dressed out between 9.5 and 10 pounds.

http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/a/ab/50x50px-ZC-ab14ff83_038.jpeg

I gave them feed in the mornings and late afternoon. Four birds ate as much as my 7 adult birds and 25 young pullets. I kept the Cornish in a separate pen. I fed all the young ones starter feed then grow feed.
Their pen floor was sand with some straw tossed in as well. Their brooder was a child's playpen I found at a yard sale for $10.

Since everything went so well for me, I now have 12 more Cornish baby chicks I got on Aug 8th. I had them in the playpen till they were big enough where they couldn't go through chicken wire. Now they have the run of their own 8'x8' coop. I lined the bottom of the playpen with empty feed sacks and cardboard for easier cleaning. I have a couple of cat/animal carriers with the doors removed in the coop for them, so they have a safe place to go and keep warm if they choose.
After I go through my 100 pounds of starter feed I will probably switch the grow feed from my local feed store or get the start/grow feed from TSC.

Good luck with your meat birds. It's so nice to bring your own meat to the dinner table, knowing how they were raised and what they ate. And the taste is so much better than store bought

Back
Top Bottom