Going to try to create a new breed. Who's in?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by abbadackerygirl, Apr 20, 2012.

1. abbadackerygirl

abbadackerygirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2012
    Ft. Hood, Texas
    Hi everybody, I'm new!

Think of this:
    You get up, you walk over to your kitchen and grab some fresh eggs...direct from the bird! Imagine something almost as small as a call duck, but with the laying ability of a campbell!

I am going to try to breed male khaki calls with female khaki campbells. What do you think?

I'll call it the Khaki Bantam.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. Great Idea! But it takes alot more than combining to existing breeds to create a new one. It will take several generations of breeding to get a breeding program stable. Also breeding a KC to a call doesn't mean the offspring will have the same laying abilities.

3. Triplell

Triplell Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    I do think you are gonna have fun trying this one. I think the call is gonna have trouble mating with a campbell, as how is he gonna reach? But it would be funny to watch. I will keep an eye and see if you have made any progress.

4. abbadackerygirl

Apr 20, 2012
    Ft. Hood, Texas
    Hi guys, and thanks for the welcome!

I absolutely agree on the time and patience it will take in order for me to get the desired qualities to breed true. One thing I have on my side is twenty + years experience breeding and raising pet birds. (And miniature schnauzers)

The great thing about campbells is that they are not broody birds, and will lay eggs like a machine, lol, and I have seen the impossible happen with males...they are nutters. They will try and try and try again until their seed is sown. Bwahahaha.

If I could get together some like minded individuals that are interested in trying to create a standard type of bantam campbells, then my job would be easier with more genetic diversity.

I guess my first step would be to find out if the genetics between the two breeds are close enough that resulting offspring would be rendered sterile. Anybody know the answer to this?

5. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    All Mallard derived breed crosses are going to be fertile

6. abbadackerygirl

Apr 20, 2012
    Ft. Hood, Texas
    Fantastic! At first I wanted to include muscovys because of how they don't quack, but I found out that they aren't closely related enough to breed. :(

Wouldn't that have been great? A little, non-quacking, laying duck. Anyone know of another breed that's quiet?

(Oh, I see you are in Waco! I live near Fort Hood, and is that a dog a tamaskan?)

7. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    Yea unfortunantly they are still to distant to breed fertile offspring but it would have been a very interesting breed!

8. abbadackerygirl

Apr 20, 2012
    Ft. Hood, Texas
    (Oh, I guess it's a wolfdog, lol.)

If the drake just can't get up that high, there is always artificial insemination, right?

9. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    Oh hey Neighbor! And yes Sasha is a high content Wolf Dog.

Also yes artificial insemeination is a option. But remember ducks don't breed like chickens. When there in the water size doesn't matter as much

1 person likes this.
  10. abbadackerygirl

Apr 20, 2012
    Ft. Hood, Texas
    Very true... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by