Going to use a bird bath for a waterer,Has anyone ever did this?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by floridachickhatcher, Jul 3, 2011.

1. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    I told my mom tonight that its getting hard carrying the 4 waterers we have two to a coop and i asked her why dont we buy a water fountain/bird bath to use as their waterer? cause then all we have to do is carry some dawn and a scrubber in there at the end of the day and wash it out and turn it back on the next morning cause the water recycles it self all we would have to do is dig/cement it into the ground against the wire fence so the hose can reach it without them pecking at the hose and causing a leak

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I put a spigot in the pen.

3. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    I am desperately seeking suggestions for a waterer. We r using a 3 gallon suction flow type waterer and I have problems getting the top off. The bird bath idea sounds good. I'll be interested to see what kind of answers u get!

4. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    I carry 80 to 100 gallons (2: 5 gallon bucket at a time) over 150 yards twice a day to water the birds: we have around 400 at present.

If you can't change out the waterers at least once a day and give fresh water then my suggestion is to get out of chickens. That's the least you can do for them that give you eggs, meat, and enjoyment.

* Be friendly and courteous to all members at all times.​

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2011
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might check into a faucet hydrant for your chicken yard. A plummer can run a water line from your exixting water line to a yard water hydrant. Some talented homeowners can do this themselves, too. There is some trenching involved to run the line. A simpler thing is just to by some extra water hoses.

6. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:PVC is cheap... that's a long way to tote that much water!

7. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Quote:PVC is cheap... that's a long way to tote that much water!

I'm trying to keep my boyish figure. Now, at 47 and 165 lbs. I'd say I was succeeding. Good exercise never hurt anyone that I know of: week before last it was 106F. That kind of weather will take the fat right off when toting water.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  8. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    We run a hose 150 yards ( in side of PVC pipe about a foot under ground ) have it pop up right next to the coop! I have a hanger for the extra hose. When I walk out of the house I turn it on.. when Im done watering and rinsing everything I just turn it off till later. This way we can leave the hose out all the time and still keep the grass cut and the hose is out of site. For winter I do have to carry fresh out but its no big deal, least I can do for my featherd friends ...oh how I love them soo [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    I think the OP was asking more for different ideas for waterers than really complaining about having to carry the water, IMHO. I'm asking for different water solutions myself. We have water at the coop, ,but my problem is the turn over waterers were all leaking and making a muddy mess in the run. Then we bought a suction/flow type waterer and due to the suction part of it I have a very hard time getting the top off to fill it. I think the bird bath/water fountain is a good idea and was wondering what people use as their waterers??

10. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    yeah a friend of my moms said that the bird bath/fountain wont flow if the birds poop in it cause it will get clogged and i was afraid of that and we have tried those value waterers and the low flow waterers and they are just horrible and my mom has a disabled arm from a torn cuff and i cant lift heavy things or carry them for long due to a bad fall last year when i was sick and fainted and yes im tired of those untwist and retwist waterers and so is my mom i mean i think if we could find a bird bath/fountain that wouldnt recycle the water and would shut on and off when its low and full that would work if it would work with shutting on and off unlike the designed waterers that are suppose to do that only downside would be when winter comes around then we would have to switch back to carrying the gallon waterers but if the bird bath/fountain would work i dont think we could care as much cause when spring would roll around we would stop again but we would also want the water to be as clean as possible

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by