Gold Barred? Roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by farmerChef, Dec 14, 2010.

1. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Got him from an amish auction. Don't know breed or age, but I'm guessing <1 yr.
    Wondering more about coloring than breed. Has blue underneath on back of neck, wings, and tail, white under everywhere else. Can barring only br black/white? Or is he penciled or something.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. farmnfowl

farmnfowl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2010
    Northwest Indiana
    looks like a poorly marked crele to me

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Not a crele. Crele's are a barred duckwing. This is a cuckoo columbian or buff cross.

He's not a Barred Rock, as they should only be "barred" (black and white barring) and this bird has the wrong leg color and certainly is underweight and undersized to be a Rock.

He looks to have some Sussex or Orpington in him. His leg AND plumage color would confirm the Orpington in there.

4. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    He looks similar to the Barred birds that swheat on here has been breeding. I can't remember for the life of me what breed they are. But it looks like one of his.

Laurie

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Barring can be on most any color, not just black and white. Hes a mix like the others you got that you posted awhile back asking if they were Vorwerks, but here is one of my project Lemon Cuckoo ( Buff Barred ) Orps that I'm working on to show how barring can be in buff birds too.
    [​IMG]

6. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Yeah I never got much of in answer in my first post. This post was mostly about his coloring.
    Like your lemon. [​IMG]

7. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I have had some barnyard mixes that look similar. Mine are LF.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Agree barring can be any color.
    I have one roo whos half golden Barred and White and black Barred
    [​IMG]

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    What I meant is that a breed with "barred" coloring should only be black and white. Clearly I'm aware that barring itself can be on any color, even Lavender. . . . But, when labelled, it is not simply called "barred." For example there's "Lemon Cuckoo," "Crele," and "Blue Cuckoo." [​IMG]

So there's a "cuckoo" polish and a "crele" polish. Both barred, but colored varieties like Creles are not actually called "barred such and such"

10. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:I think we were all responding to the OP in saying that barring can be on any color since that was the question the OP asked, I dont think anyone was infering that you said barring can only be black and white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by