Gold Brabanter's eyes are foaming and crying!

uglybeat

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
I just went outside and saw part of the "whites" of the eyes covering about a 1/4 of each eye and then noticed that she has bubbles or foam (clear)coming from the eyes like she is weeping. Don't know about her poop. I'm in the middle of piano teaching and don't have time to go out and watch till this evening---she is free range in my backyard and happily exists with 5 others. None of them seem to be affected. Any ideas? Thank you!

I am going through the same thing. In my case my flock of 6 have been in and out of symptoms of either a bad respiratory infection or infectious coryza. The first signs were swollen eyes and flesh around the eyes, along with sneezing, coughing, chesty gurgling and mucus build up on the beaks. So far I've treated with Erythramicyn(sp?) for 10 days. The first few days the chickens were responding well, then 2 relapsed so I've kept them on the antibiotics. Today I noticed that one of my chickens has developed what looks like soapy bubbles covering half of her eyes (looks like it started in the inside corners of her eyes). So today I talked to my dept. of agriculture's poultry lab (in Georgia) for the second time, to tell them about the re-infection, and they suggested switching the antibiotic since the erythramicyn didn't knock it out completely. I'm starting Tetroxy HCA (which is a tetracycline based) at the suggestion of the Dept. of Ag.

I've been paniced and depressed, but the vets at the poultry lab keep telling me that, as long as my chickens don't get too sick, and I haven't had any deaths, it's probably just some respiratory virus they picked up.

If you google the foamy eyes you will certainly find most indications for infectious coryza. Don't panic (I paniced!). According to the GA Dept. of Ag, one of the telling signs is a very foul smell. While one of my chickens (the first sick one) came to me with a very foul smell, none of the others seem to have picked up that trait. I'm holding out that this is in fact a mild to moderate respiratory infection, and hoping that this second type of antibiotic will knock it out.

What state do you live in? I can tell you that I've been extremly impressed with the dept. of agriculture in my state. They've been very helpful to me in dealing with my infected chickens.

Good luck.

Thank you very much. I will check into this, though she doesn't exhibit any gurgling or breathing funny. I've observed her more this morning as I'm not working, and she's got watery poop, and isn't eating. She follows the chickens around to be around them, but doesn't really do much else but stand there looking uncomfortable. I'm going to see what I can do about getting antibiotics today and some vitamins for her water. Argh, this stinks! I really appreciate your info, cuz it sounds like the closest thing I've been able to find! Hope yours get better soon. They are so very dear, aren't they?!

Hi sorry to hear about your chicken!
sad.png

One of my chickens (sundew) a Golden Comet had a eye like that. Her eye lid was over some of her eye. It was foaming clear a little.
But we would rub Neosporin first aid antibiotic ointment. It it can come in single use packets. You need to get her in a towel and put it
in the effected area. About a week later she was a brand new chicken!
wee.gif

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Okay, so here's an update and if anyone can help me with more advice, I'm all ears!!! She's still crying out of both eyes, sometimes foamy and sometimes a little thickness. She can barely see and tends to stand in one spot. No chest wheezing or gurgling or coughing so I don't think it's respitory. I've been giving her water with antibiotic powder in it that they recommended at the feedstore. She's not eating or drinking on her own, not even her favorite walnuts! It's so heart-breaking. I've been putting antibiotic ointment on her eyes too. She's with the other chickens and none of them are sick, so I don't think it's contagious. Do chickens have allergies at all? Could it be poisoning? I painted some parts of the coop in the backyard and some spots of white paint landed on the grass. Would it be possible that she ingested that...? She's really not pooping a lot that I've noticed, mainly because she's not eating or drinking much. I feel so sorry for her.
Please write if you have any suggestions!!! Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom