Gold Comets? What do you know?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenkerri, Feb 13, 2009.

1. chickenkerri

chickenkerri Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    A local breeder is offering these started pullets but I've never heard of them. Does anyone have these or know about them? I know they're a "hybrid".

Thanks!

2. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    If You want eggs they are the best layers of brown eggs that are avaible. Yes they are a hybred called red sexlinked. They go by a couple names .I happen to have Isa Browns myself.They also are very gentle birds not flighty. I have three that have laid 3 eggs every day this year. Jumbo eggs

3. setter4

setter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
    I have 4 Golden Comets and they are great. Pretty, calm and lay like crazy. [​IMG]

4. greenslope

greenslope New Egg

Feb 5, 2009
    Easton MA
    I agree the Comet is a great one. Good for free rang as well stay close to the flock. And my two loved to be held as well.

5. chickensista

chickensista Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    I have 2. They are very friendly, curious, and great layers. One is a little saucy and will even chase the squirrels away from the feeder. Smart girl! I recieved them by mistake - but I'm glad I have them. [​IMG]

6. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    There is a farm down the road who has them. I have never heard any complaints from the wife.

7. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's a couple links...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-ISA_Browns

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html

They save hatcheries a lot of cash because they can easily identify the sexes VERY quickly, fewer complaints from customers, less shipping cost etc.

Keep in mind, every hatchery has their own name for them. ISA browns, Golden Comets, Red Sex Links, Gold Sex Links, Cinnamon Queen mmmm,, I'm probably missing some, but they can be slightly different crosses, but those are brown egg layers, can be crossed with a Red Sire and a hen that's mostly white I think...

There's also Black Sex Linked and California Whites, which are a different cross... Pretty sure the BSLs lay brown eggs too, but CaliWhites lay white eggs.

[edit] they're quite hardy, good egg layers, but they don't breed true, you'll get something different if you hatch any eggs from them... I've had some of the Golden Comets from Mt Healthy Hatchery and they're very nice birds, but I preferr pure breeds just cause I can! LOL [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  8. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have 7 and they lay huge eggs.

9. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    I have two and they lay "JUMBO" Eggs every day. Double yokers just like clock work! Mine are real nice friendly birds.I ordering a few more this year.
    [​IMG] n-da-woods /greenslope and chickenkerri

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by