Gold country chicken swap?? Anyone

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by dmiravalle, Jan 11, 2011.

1. dmiravalle

dmiravalle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    Is anyone interested in having a late spring swap in the Auburn Area??? (California) If so pm me and I will compile a list. Also, any location suggestions???

2. HarmonyOaks

HarmonyOaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    Calaveras County
    I would come to one in the summer. I am selling some birds in Stockton; Then I will be hatching and raising, an will need to thin the flocks in June or July. I usually take my birds to auction in Valley Springs, but if I know that an event will be happening, I will hold back the better birds for a BYC swap. Is there a public park or picnic grounds that we could use?

3. dmiravalle

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    I am sure we could come up with something, so far you have been the only person to respond, but if we get a couple more interested people, I am sure we could come up with a location. Maybe somewhere we could do a lunch thing. I am pretty sure Echo Valley Feed Store would let us do it there on a weekend, if we had to.

4. dmiravalle

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    Maybe towards the end of July?? I don't use lamps in my coop so I usually get a later lay/hatch.

5. HarmonyOaks

Jan 27, 2010
    Calaveras County
    I am game, just get a date so I can put it on my calendar, Auburn is a 2.5 hrs from me.

6. dmiravalle

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    Sounds like there are definetely a few others, so....

I will start working on a location and a date!!! [​IMG] Do you all want it only BYCers or more open to the public type venue?? I know the fairgrounds are out because of cost.

Oh and would anyone mind if I invited our counties 4-H kids????

7. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

We are going to be doing our first hatches this spring and will have chookies to give away/sell so sure, count us in! Auburn's only half an hour from here.

8. dmiravalle

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    OK, I will have to start a list. [​IMG]

9. HarmonyOaks

Jan 27, 2010
    Calaveras County
    Lets go for a public park. That way we can picnic and have grass and hopefully shade for cages. Shouldnt be a charge, but if there is one for maybe a guaranteed slot in a group area, I would be willing to pitch in for the cost.

It may not be feasible, but what about that state park on Hwy 49... between Auburn and Amador? Sutters something??? very scenic, I saw it driving to Grass Valley to breed a dog, before I realized that Hwy 49 wasnt as short of a way as Google Maps led me to believe!

I totally think inviting 4-Hers/FFAers is a grand idea. Maybe their leaders would like to encourage them to put together demonstrations on poultry related subjects. I recall from my days in the whites, that we needed to do demonstrations for our projects each year, more than once if we were working on our stars!

[​IMG]

10. dmiravalle

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    OK, first one kind of dogs do you breed? Gotta ask.

I am not sure what park you are refering to?? Hmmm, anyone else know of it?

Once we set everything, I will have the 4-H office put it in their green sheets, that would be fun! I can go to auburn parks/recs and find out if there is anything they will let us use. I will be down that way on Wednesday. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by