Gold eggs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by shirlbucher, Aug 17, 2014.

1. shirlbucher

shirlbucher New Egg

Jun 14, 2014
    An egg distributing company In my town is marketing "GOLD" eggs. Supposedly there is 325 mg of omega 3, 160 iu of vit D, and 600 mg of lutein in each egg. They are not organic that I can identify. So is there an additive I need to give my free range chickens that I feed non GMO food to make them comparable? They are charging $3.00 a dozen for these eggs.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  2. maggiemo

maggiemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Front Range Colorado
    Where do you live? I charge $5.00 a dozen and never have enough eggs for all the people who want them. Mine are organic, non-GMO. Are you saying $3 is a lot or a little?

3. WthrLady

WthrLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    Normal eggs here are $3 a dozen. From the market or farm.

Free range can get $5 !

There are higher lutein and omega 3 feeds out there. Whether or not that gets to the eggs...no idea.

Marketing is half the battle. Make it sound better, more rare or unobtainable and yiu drive a certain market to buy, buy, buy. For all we know they are the same eggs the company sells in the plain egg box.

4. shirlbucher

shirlbucher New Egg

Jun 14, 2014
    I believe that $3.00 is not enough:(

5. shirlbucher

shirlbucher New Egg

Jun 14, 2014
    I live in central PA. Lancaster county which is a farm community. There are many farm stands selling eggs for $1.50 a dozen for free range but very few non Gmo grain fed layers as the chicken owners will not pay the higher prices for this feed. I will look for the higher Luetin omega3 feed.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I'll tell you the same as I tell a new egg costumer that asks if my eggs are "free range, Omega 3, Luetin rich egg". [​IMG]

Don't fall for the sales pitches that major egg producers and most of the backyard egg sellers use to sell there egg and make them sound better than others.

Anybody that feeds a feed containing corn and lets there birds out in a yard that contains common purslane (a common backyard weed) with in it can say they have free range, Omega 3, Luetin rich eggs.

7. shirlbucher

shirlbucher New Egg

Jun 14, 2014
    That makes PERFECT sense. Thanks for your response!

8. shirlbucher

shirlbucher New Egg

Jun 14, 2014
    BIUS

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by