Gold Laced Cochins- Breeding advice? Pics on pg2, come critique!

Okay... I'm trying this photo thing out...

If you'd like bigger pics, go to my photobucket...
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l184/blaundee/Gold Laced LF Cochins/

I have 3 pullets and 2 roosters

38261_glhenoo.jpg

38261_glhenchest.jpg

38261_glhenbest.jpg

This pic is of the hen above's feet

38261_glhenbestfeet.jpg

This is the rooster who is breeding

38261_glroobreeder.jpg

Both boys- the one flapping is the one breeding

38261_glroo2.jpg

Last edited:
What color is the best one to use for breeding into the GL? Partridge, Black, Buff?

Quote:
Yes, I know I have work to do, and that's why I'm posting- pick them apart and tell me what I need to work on!!! (I won't get my feelings hurt)

I looked at your photobucket album - you have much better pics there - especially of one hen in particular - I think she is referenced as your best hen, and I believe she is.
Right now, I'm not seeing much in the pullets or cockerels (at least from the pics), but I think the roo and hen show much more/better potential.
Rather than out-crossing with a different color at this point, why not start with at least one generation from your very best roo and very best hen and see where that leads you.

Quote:
Actually, the best two are mating on a regular basis, and as soon as her pullet eggs get big enough I'm gonna throw some in the incubator!
big_smile.png

I know foot feathering needs work, and cushion needs work too- any thoughts?
eta- because of this, I don't want to cross to GLW anytime soon, I think I should stick with Cochin blood for now.

Last edited:
Quote:
Actually, the best two are mating on a regular basis, and as soon as her pullet eggs get big enough I'm gonna throw some in the incubator!
big_smile.png

I know foot feathering needs work, and cushion needs work too- any thoughts?
eta- because of this, I don't want to cross to GLW anytime soon, I think I should stick with Cochin blood for now.

I don't think you should even be thinking about crossing to a totally different breed such as GLW. Previous posts were discussing only crossing to other Cochin colors to improve type.

Yes - the foot feathering needs serious work. Bare middle and/or outer toes in Cochins are Disqualifications - not just defects. And I think at this age, you should already be seeing lacing on the breasts of the pullets. Many LF Cochins still need work with the cushions - you should be focusing also on the body type as a whole

Back
Top Bottom