Gold laced genetics?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Godiva, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I was wondering what genes contribute to the gold laced colouring? And do you breed gold laced to gold laced for the best colour or do you use another colour to bring in better markings etc? Just trying to educate myself.... appreciate your time.

2. blackclownfish16

blackclownfish16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Bump. I have no experience with gold laced birds but generally you want to stay within the laced breed for example only wlr cornish with wlr cornish but again thats not gold laced. [​IMG]

3. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Lacing is due to a combination pf Pattern gene,Columbian & Melanotic.
    It can be on Brown, black tailed Wyandotte or Birchen, laced tailed Polands or Sebrights.
    Laced birds are mated to laced birds,
    David

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    So if you want to transfer the lacing to other breed, what colour will be the best to use?

5. blackclownfish16

blackclownfish16 Chillin' With My Peeps

I believe black would be your best bet.

6. nzpouter

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    I was thinking of laced x columbian...

7. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    From what David says, it depends.

If you want lacing in the tail, like Polish and Sebrights do, you need to use birchen based birds.

For laced birds with black tails, such as Wyandottes, my guess by brown he means on a "partridge"(eb) base.

nzpouter, my guess your next question would be to find out what genotype your columbian stock has & see if it's compatible with the type of lacing you want. (I don't know much about Co interaction with the different E bases..)

8. nzpouter

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    according to the standard, it will be wyandotte type, but the only available lacing is from a silver sebright.

This is the pekin stock I'm going to use for the project.

[​IMG]

9. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    If you want to end up with laced birds use a WELL LACED bird as a donor of the correct genes.

I think sebright type lacing has more potential for a soft feather bird like cochin/pekin. It has more definition/sharpness.
    Would be more difficult though because of type and size differences.

10. nzpouter

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    believe me.. if there is a more closely shaped breed around (like wyandotte) I would have use it....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by