gold laced wyandotte chick question are they a fiesty breed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blueseal, May 2, 2009.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i have 6, 4 week olds and out of the 6 two are roos. well i know 1 is and the other looks like hes getting a comb. and there starting to head butt each other. is this a sighn of two roos. i have pics of the other one i think is a roo on raising chicks section look for my name page 3 or 4.

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Not the ones I've had, but I guesss it always depends on the strain. Mine have been really sweet.

3. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Mine are nice to each other, but they aren't so affectionate with me...

4. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    in my opinion and again, its my opinion...i hate them! I have never had one that didnt flog me every time i walked in the pen or tried to mount me! I have only had two roos, my first chickens ever and i almost didnt get anymore because of them. I tried the hose, carring them around upside down, putting them in time-out pens...everything i could think of...they did however make a wonderful chicken soup!

5. chickenlips1954

chickenlips1954 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    I've only had hens, but they've been very friendly and gentle and of all my different breeds they have been the most curious and tend to follow me around.

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  6. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    My GLW girls are the most docile and therefore tend to get picked on by all others. Not the least bit aggressive.

7. vicschics

vicschics Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    Kentland, Indiana
    I have 5 GLW chicks-6 weekers and they get along pretty well. 2 of them come and get in my lap and watch over the rest from there while the others move around contented. Every now and then one jumps on the other one's back as if it's a stepping stone. It's over as quick as it starts but showing no aggression. 3 are starting to develop combs and wattles and they are pretty dark in color(reddish) the other 2 aren't as developed yet. Only guessing here but I'm wondering if we have 3 roos and 2 hens. Time will tell...waiting for someone to crow...then I'll know it's a sure bet.

These babies aren't showing any aggression just trying to establish pecking order as someone confirmed for me already on the board here. They are quite funny to watch cause they stand up tall and run into each other, again nothing agressive.[​IMG]

8. pafarmgirl

pafarmgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Poconos
    My 1 yr old golden lace wyandotte came with a shipment of 25 assorted rare or ornamentals. she is very sweet but not the most affectionate. she is a wonderful brown egg layer. we have a roo that is either a barred wyandotte or a dominique. they are so similar, we are not sure. this rooster is very docile and sweet. it shares a coop with a lakenvelder rooster and 20 hens. sometimes the two roos sleep side by side. i have a very tall leghorn who is master of his coop and his 4 leghorn hens, he is also master of the yard. any hen squawking brings him at once. they also come when he calls but he is not aggressive toward humans.

9. chicky gal1

chicky gal1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    i got 5 chicks last week. gave them away 2 days later b/c they were VERY fiesty with each other and the other chicks in the brooder...

10. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I guess it all just depends on how they were raised...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by