gold laced wyandotte lays GREEN eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NCchickenman1958, Dec 20, 2009.

1. NCchickenman1958

NCchickenman1958 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2009
    Mint Hill N.C.
    I have two gold laced wyandottes and one is laying green eggs and has green lobes also, it is a very pastel green and she has olive colored legs. Anyone ever seen this? I thought that she would lay brown egss. I have two americanus and at first I thought it was theirs but lo and behold one day there were three eggs ( 2 pastel green and 1 olive green ) and I found the gold laced sitting on a pastel green egg.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If she has green legs she's not a wyandotte.....they have yellow legs and lay light brown eggs. It sounds like you've got a mix or an EE.

3. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I agree that it does not sound like a Gold Laced Wyandotte. Mine lays a very large light brown egg (some are only a gram or two shy of giant!). The looks very different than the EE (I have three of these as well). I am adding more of both breeds to my flock this spring. Both breeds are laying machines for me. [​IMG]

Can you post a picture of your Gold Laced Wyandotte?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  4. NCchickenman1958

NCchickenman1958 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2009
    Mint Hill N.C.
    the thing is she looks just like a gold lace in her feathering and everything it is just the lobes and the eggs, her sister hasnt started laying yet so I am waiting to see what her eggs look like. I do beleive she is a mix and thats ok I really like the green eggs and no one i have given them to has ever seen green eggs so they are amazed.

5. bmelanco

bmelanco Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2009
    Upstate NY
    We have five diff breeds and I've seen many of them sitting on the others eggs for hours....

6. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, your Wyandotte is not pure bred, but a cross with an Ameracauna/Aurcana type chicken...hence the green legs and the green eggs. Her feathers may have come from her Wyadotte ancestor though. But enjoy, the green eggs are delicious, and a great conversation starter when placed in the box w/brown eggs and given to friends/relatives:)

7. TDB

TDB Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2009
    Yes you have a EE because of the green legs [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  8. Sengge

Sengge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Silver Spring, MD
    [​IMG]

Funny. I have the same problem. Greenish greying legs, ear lobes with greenish / whitish tint and rest of the body (feathers, head, beak, comb) shows no sign of a hybrid. We are still calling it GL. Is she EE? She has rose comb, 4 toes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by