Gold Laced Wyandotte - Picking or "Slow Feather Grower"?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tcp97b, Jan 23, 2010.

1. tcp97b

tcp97b Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    One of my new group of ten has practically no feathers from her mid back to her tail. I've been watching her for picking signs (they all are picking a little), but it doesn't look like she is getting picked except for an occasional feather. Her back pin feathers also look like they coming in - just slowly. Tonight I went out and it seems like she is missing a few more tail feathers (it's almost bare - poor girl). I have Rooster Booster - Pick No More that I applied the other day - should I just apply every day and see what happens, or should I separate her until she gets it all grown in? She has a sister GLW that has all her back feathers as do all of the others.

Here are pictures with her wings held up:

Left side and back...
    [​IMG]

Back /Right Side.....
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Is there a rooster in with them?

I'd do a thorough pest check too just in case and check a few other birds.

If you can separate her and the plucking stops you'll know if it's the roo or another hen...sometimes I just wish I had a coop cam! [​IMG]

3. tcp97b

tcp97b Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    There is a Delaware Roo in there - he is the same age. I've watched and it seems like they all pick at each other, but I can't tell if it is just them getting the 'pecking order' set or not. This is my first time with chickens. I have looked them all over for any kind of bugs and can't see any - checked under their wings, at the base of feathers, etc.. but I also don't know what I would be looking for. I have seen fleas and ticks on dogs, along with aphids and other bugs on plants, so I think I would notice bugs unless they are really really small, or I don't know where to look. She is now in a 3'x2' cage in the coop with the other birds (They can't get to her to pick) I feel bad for her, but at least she can see and hear her friends. The roo is getting a new home this week. I live in town and don't want to upset any neighbors. Anyone know of a magic potion for fast feather growth?

Ty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by