gold laced wyondotte

staplehead

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 31, 2010
georgia
i purchased 4 gold laced, 4 silver laced, , 4 speckled sussex 2 rhode island red hens, in september, all are doing well. my question is one g.laced wyondotte is considerably larger than the rest, could this be a rooster? if so i got a problem, because i also have a pair of old english games, 1 rooster and a hen, 7 mons old....how do you tell if this wyndotte is a rooster?

How old are they now? I'm very new to chickens, so take my observations with a grain of salt. I just gave up my 11 week old rooster yesterday and am still upset about it. This is my first set of chickens I have raised...ever, but I had a "feeling" that this particular chicken was a rooster since the time he was about 4 weeks old. Mainly because he was much bigger than the other chicks, however he was also a different breed than the others so we weren't sure if that was the explanation, all were standard chickens. The next thing was that his feathers were growing in in a really weird pattern and more sparse under the wings and in the neck area compared to the other chicks. I finally got confirmation last Monday when he exited the coop and let out a proud cock-a-doodle-do! Poor guy is back at the feed store looking for a new home now. We miss you Foggy!

I was pretty sure my GLW was a roo until she was about 14 weeks old. At that point her wattles and comb stopped getting bigger, and she began to grow into her feet. I'm pretty sure (at 17 weeks ) that she is a girl -- no pointy hackle feathers -- even though she is fairly large. Do post a picture, but you can look at my pictures of Vic at http://picasaweb.google.com/sharol46/16WeeksOldMonday#5535091022244045890 (for a fairly current one) or go to albums and you can see her pictures earlier.

I've about decided that there is no reason to worry. She will either lay an egg or crow soon.

Back
Top Bottom