Gold leaking on blue silkie

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ma2babygurl13, Oct 17, 2009.

1. ma2babygurl13

ma2babygurl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Fairborn OH
    What causes some gold to leak through on a blue silkie? Would it be a blue partridge? I have a blue silkie chick that is about 4 weeks old, and was born looking like a normal blue, now it has some gold leaking through on the neck area, would this be a blue partridge or is it just some leaking? If so what causes that? Would it be bad to use in a b/b/s breeding pen?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If it's the same as what I experienced with some of my BBS Ameraucanas, the base color is leaking through (not enough melanisers to cover it). That would not be good as a breeder, no. Could pass on that trait to the kids.

3. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
  4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I think if it is a chick that you need to ask: what varieties were its parents? and also possibly wait until it matures a bit so that you can see the pattern coming in and then decide. However, the bird also appears to have a single comb.

5. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:The parents were blue, black, and splash. The momma was a black hen that has a single comb but she is now out of my breeding pen. The black hen came out of white stock so she is carrying many unknown genes. This chick will be going into the pet flock as stated on my thread. [​IMG]

6. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Okay, but the question remains for the OP.

Your answer confused me when you referred to your thread. Then I realized that you were not the OP.

7. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:I'm Sorry!

8. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    That's okay. I should practice noting who the OP is and reading who makes what posts. Most of the time I ignore those.

In both your cases I think you need to watch to see how the plumage will develop. If for no other reason than you could learn some of the genes your birds are likely carrying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by