1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gold Mine!!!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by max13077, Mar 26, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sure a lot people already do this, however some might not. Tell people you're building a coop!![​IMG]

I work at a school and I told a couple of the ladies I work with I was building my coop in a month or so. One ladies husband works at a prefab home building place and gets free scrap materials, as much as he wants. After talking to the guy, my coops going to be around even if there's a nuclear attack!!! He said he has 25 to 30 sheets of 3/4" pressure treated plywood in his barn that I can HAVE!!!! Most of the sheets only have a corner or something small like that cut out of them. He said he's seen siding, double pane windows, misc lumber, etc, etc in the scrap pile for free!!!

Tell people youÂ’re building a coop and ask around. You never know what somebody else has for "junk." [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  2. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    Good idea! We will be starting the foundation for our coop this weekend, and free materials are always welcome. I'll check around.

3. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    wow that is great. Sounds like you'll be able to get some great supplies to build your coop.

4. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Yeah, one of my coworkers said that I could scavenge windows and stuff for the coop out of a house he was having demolished.

I thought this was a fantastic opportunity until he said, "Just don't kick up too much asbestos dust when you are ripping things apart. Oh, and you will have to sign a waiver before going in since it is no longer structurally sound, and try not to stress the load bearing walls too much."

Um, you know what? I'll just take a trip to lowes, thanks...

(yes, I am a wimp)

5. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:No, it's called intelligence.... I usually get nervous when people ask me to sign stuff...

6. Brian

Brian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Jacksonville, ORegon
    Also, don't forget to look at CraigsList under materials.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by