Gold Neck D'Uccle's

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Ruff01, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Ruff01

Ruff01 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2009
    Hi Everyone,
    I have a genetic question which hopefully someone can answer for me. If I mate A Golden Neck Rooster with a Golden Neck hen which originally came from breeding a pair of Blue Millifluers. What offspring will they produce. I am thinking 50% Gold necks 50% Blue Millifluer.

Am I right or wrong?

Thanks in advance

Ruff

2. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    Quote:Technically the hen is a splash although she looks goldnecked. from mating a gold neck to a splash blue mille you'll get (unless i did my punnet's square wrong) all gold necks which are impure for dominant white and impure for blue.

3. Ruff01

Jan 29, 2009
    Thanks for that Vcomb,
    So what is the best way to produce pure lines? What would happen if I put a Golden Neck hen back over her Blue Millifluer father? or if I put her over one of her Blue milly brothers. The reason why I am asking is I have hatched out over 300 chicks from my blue Milly pen and I only got 8 gold necks out of all of them. All the rest are blue millifluer. So what I would like to do is just have a combination that breeds a high percentage of golden necks.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

Ruff

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  4. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    I think what he's telling you is that none of your birds are true gold-necks. He's saying that what they really are is splash mille fleurs.

As for splash mille fleurs, you can breed them pure by simply breeding them to each other. Don't cross back on blue or black mille fleurs.

eta: I haven't been able to find a specific genetic analysis for gold necks, but if I come across one I'll post it here!

5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Question, aren't blue mille fleurs, Porcelain's

6. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Quote:No. Blue mille fleurs have only the black color diluted, while porcelains have both the black AND the red/brown colors diluted.

7. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    I looked up porcelain. The difference between "regular" mille fleur and porcelain is that the porcelain bird has the lavender gene. The difference between "regular" mille fleur and blue mille fleur, though is that the blue mille fleur has one copy of the "splash" (black dilution) gene.

eta -- I found the gold neck genetic analysis. The gold neck is "regular" mille fleur plus dominant white, while the splash mille fleur is "regular" mille fleur plus TWO copies of the "splash" (black dilution) gene.

8. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Thank you, sounds like a nice looking bird, I always thought the porcelain and the blue were the same. Now
    I'm going to have to find someone that has the blue [​IMG]

9. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Quote:Ideal has them. [​IMG]

I was gonna order some from Ideal this spring, but I decided to get some lavenders instead. I already have one gold neck, and one "regular" mille fleur.

Do remember, though -- if you order blue mille fleurs, you'll actually get a mix of regular, blue, and possibly splash -- depending on how they have their breeding pens set up! The only way to get 100% blue is to breed black to splash, and I know that Ideal isn't set up that way (because they have a warning about the mix of colors on their web site).

10. Ruff01

Jan 29, 2009
    Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for that feedback. So am I right in saying that if I mate a splash or goldneck with a splash or gold neckI will get 100% splash or gold neck?

Have I understood correctly?

Ruff

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by