Gold or Red sex link?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by babyrnlc, Apr 18, 2011.

1. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Now that Goldie is older I wanted to see if you knew her breed. She was from the assorted pullet bin from the feed store, they get their chicks from Ideal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sex Links are hybrids, not breeds, but in any case, the absence of white feathers mixed in leads me to think a New Hampshire type Red hen. Realizing, of course, that hatchery stock isn't really up to standards as to any real breed. Nonetheless, she looks amazing and I think she'll be great layer for you. I like the bright yellow of the legs. She has that orange NH look while a true RIR would be a rich, almost red/black, deep in color.

3. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Fred's Hens :

Sex Links are hybrids, not breeds, but in any case, the absence of white feathers mixed in leads me to think a New Hampshire type Red hen. Realizing, of course, that hatchery stock isn't really up to standards as to any real breed. Nonetheless, she looks amazing and I think she'll be great layer for you. I like the bright yellow of the legs. She has that orange NH look while a true RIR would be a rich, almost red/black, deep in color.

Someone else suggested New Hamp red. I am good with that! They lay well. I just want to know what to call her! That is two for new hampshire red! When she was little I was told she was a gold sex link or red sex link and the girl at the feed store said gold sex link​

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Basically, what Fred said [​IMG]

Most commercial sex-link hens do have white/lighter on the back end. Her dark instead makes me think NH, also. Love the brighter color vs RIR, also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by