Gold or Red Sexlink Chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nancypo, Apr 15, 2012.

1. nancypo

nancypo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Any ideas which it is? It's the lighter chick in front. I thought it was supposed to be a "gold"...

[​IMG]

2. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    If no one knows, that's okay...

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

More likely, neither. More likely a production red. Usually, a sexlink is more white/red mixed feathering. It's a bit soon, but the coloration presently looks evenly red. The wing is feathering in like a production red as well.

BTW, the term production red is used broadly to describe birds mainly of Rhode Island Red parentage, but lacking in the deep mahogany color and body shape. Truth be told, true Rhode Island Red can only be gotten from a breeder, as the hatcheries lines are rather polluted. The New Hampshire, a separate breed developed out of the RIR, is equally rare in a "true to type" or true to breed standards from the hatcheries. True NH must be gotten from a breeder as well.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  4. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Thanks! So a wannebe R.I.R.? I know the hatchery locally does a pretty good job (which is where the feed store I used got the chicks from) but they may use more then 1 hatchery. Oh, well, she's cute and healthy!

5. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    The girls are bigger now, still a sexlink or?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I saw this other cross, looks very similar to mine- the caoption said- A Brinkotter hen, an Australian Sex-link, from a Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire

[​IMG]

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

A red sex link normally is made by putting a red over a silver/white. This produces a golden red bird, with lots of white "under wear". See photo below.
    Your lovely birds just don't show that white under wear. They still look evenly golden/red. Such birds are often sold as RIR, but lack the body shape and deep color of a true RIR. Thus, I'm staying with a production type of red bird, made up of RIR or NH, but surely a production strain, as the color is light, but even. Very pretty birds.

[​IMG]

7. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Thanks, yes I think it may be a "washed out" strain :) They're much lighter than my RIR, and have some whiteish feathering on their faces...

8. Mickiesmadhouse

Mickiesmadhouse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2012
    Sibley, Louisiana
    They look an awful lot like my New Hampshires. . .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Oh good! One of them was supposed to be a New Hampshire, but the feed store gave me 2 instead of one. Works for me!!! Thanks!

10. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    I just looked up some photos and yes, that's it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by