1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gold pencilled hamburg rooster / silver spangled Hamburg hen

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by malkered, Feb 23, 2016.

1. malkered

malkered Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a 25 week old Gold pencilled Hamburg bantam roo running with a 25 week old silver spangled hamburg bantam hen. They are both gorgeous birds. I am wondering whether to hatch any of her eggs but I'm not sure what markings or colourings to expect.

Has anyone experience of such a match? What would the offspring look like?

2. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    I'm not sure what such a match would look like, let us know and be sure to post pictures when you find out!

3. malkered

Well, I put 6 eggs into the incubator of which 5 were fertile and 3 hatched. All the eggs were white and quite pointed as my Hamburg hen lays them.

Here are two of the resulting chicks :

[​IMG]

However, it seems that one of my Pekin hens also lays a white pointed egg rather than the ligh brown rounded eggs that the other Pekins lay, and, as at the time my Pekins were in with my Hamburgs I have managed to hatch a Hamburg /Pekin cross!

Here is my Hamkin! Or is it a Peburgh? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Berryblue

Berryblue Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2016
    Nz
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I had some hamburg pekin cross too. Wondering what yours is looking like now?

5. malkered

My Hamkin boy grew to be a glorious cockerel with, gold pencilled with a Hamburg tail, Pekin feet and the most handsome combination of the two breeds in every other way ....... Unfortunately Mr Fox took a liking to him too and I lost him two weeks ago [​IMG]

6. Berryblue

Berryblue Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2016
    Nz
    Oh that's not nice. He sounded awesome. Sounds like he was a good mix. The black one was a cockerel but couldn't keep him so don't get to see him all grown up. I think he would have looked like a penguin lol cause he had white on his chest and all the hackles were white. Still have the white cross and she's growing slowly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by