Gold Sex link chick a roo?

Gone-Ducky

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 31, 2011
Arizona
Im new to chickens and got 5 gold sex links from my local feed and seed and i don't know if i came home with a roo the feed store said they will swap any out that turn out to be roos but 4 I'm 99% sure are girls one is in question though. Am I being paranoid? The Chick in question is the yellow headed chick but has red/gold race stripes down its back with red tinting on the wing feathers. Anyone out there have a good guess or any good advice on if it is a roo or if i got to just wait and see.

Sex linking allows one to "sex" the chicks, by feather color, at hatch. Putting a red/gold rooster over a white/silver hen. The cockerels hatch out white and the pullets hatch out a mix of rusty, dusty, golden/red. It is failsafe. However.......

That said, feed stores and hatcheries make mistakes. Hatching eggs and hatchlings get mixed up. Chicks get moved and put in wrong boxes and bins. It happens.

If the feed store ordered a box of "straight run" sex-links, meaning there were both boys and girls mixed together in that bin, the girls would have been buff reddish and the boys a light yellow. The 2 you show look to be boys. We have gone through about 1,500 baby chicks at our store already this spring and the sex-links are our biggest sellers because they are easy to tell apart (in person). We order only females of the other breeds because we can't tell them apart but can order mixed on the links.
Good luck :eek:)

If the feed store ordered a box of "straight run" sex-links, meaning there were both boys and girls mixed together in that bin, the girls would have been buff reddish and the boys a light yellow. The 2 you show look to be boys. We have gone through about 1,500 baby chicks at our store already this spring and the sex-links are our biggest sellers because they are easy to tell apart (in person). We order only females of the other breeds because we can't tell them apart but can order mixed on the links.
Good luck :eek:)

This thread is from last year. You've got to figure the original poster has long ago discovered which sex the are are. Just sayin'. LOL

Back
Top Bottom