Gold sex link or something else?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Rowsdower, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Rowsdower

Rowsdower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    As some of you may know, I bought 7 GSL pullets a few weeks ago. One of them has always looked different than her sisters. I realize that there is a lot of variation among hybrids (I have 7 of them, all different), but "Rosie" just looks a lot smaller and hasn't all of the white flecking like the others. I have been wondering if maybe she might be a Pure RIR, so I thought I'd seek opinions. They originally came as a chicks from TSC. I am not really sure how things go at those places but did not think it would be difficult for a mix up to occur. What do you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    looks like a production red, red sex link hen

3. Rowsdower

May 27, 2012
    And produce she does. Thanks for your reply.

4. Wild Rooster

Wild Rooster Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2012
    Michigan
    That looks more like a Rhode Island Red. i have both Rhode Island Reds and Production Reds, here is the difference:

Production Reds:
    [​IMG]

Rhode Island Red (in the middle)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rhode island reds are evenly rusty colored with black or white on the tail tips and wing tips. Production Reds are orange-ish and white. by the way, TSC mixes up chicks ALOT!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  5. Rowsdower

May 27, 2012
    Her sisters...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They are red sex links, gold sex links, etc. We grow out 25-50 of these birds every year and they vary greatly as to the percentage of their coloration tends towards showing considerable white to almost showing no white at all. It's raining, otherwise I might go take a photo of the current group. A couple of them have no white, except for a beige/white color feather or two in their tails. It's common.

Honestly, even with 25 of these birds, no two come out exactly alike in the balance of red to white, because they are hybrids, of course.

Here's a photo of some from a year ago.

[​IMG]

And here's some from the year before that.

[​IMG]

The above are red/gold sex links. A production red is a strain of RIR that is not bred to standard, but has been bred for production (by sneaking in other blood). Often sold as a RIR, but lacking the characteristics of the brick shape body and deep, almost black, shiny, mahogany feathering of a true bred RIR. Here's some production reds (mine). No white feathers at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

[​IMG]

These are purebred Rhode Island Red pullets. As you can see, my production reds are considerably lighter in color and slightly different in body shape. Our Red or Gold Sex Links are far more rusty copper in color and the body shape is altogether different. These pullets belong to KathyinMo and I hope she doesn't mind me using her photo.

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i want some of these but i want them in bantams. do you know where i can find some at?

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    it's not a production red, she has a white tail. she is a sex link

10. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    She's a red sex-link, notice her white tail feathers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by