1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

gold sex link ques.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MyPerfectChicken, Jul 23, 2007.

1. MyPerfectChicken

MyPerfectChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    PA
    [​IMG] hey, i was just wondering if anyone could answer this.....

i know you use a RIR roo with a RIW hen, but i was looking over these pictures on this one site and there was one pic that said...

[​IMG] RIR with a White Rock, so i started wondering... do u have to use rhode islands? or can u use other breeds as long as the roo is a red breed and the hen is a white breed?? [​IMG]

thanks for all ur help! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

It is the genetic color that is important, not the breed.

Red/Buff roosters that can be used include Rhode Island Red, Buff Rock, Buff Leghorn, Buff Orpington, Red or Buff Sussex all work if mixed with silver gened females like Light Sussex, Rhode Island White, White Rock, Light Brahma or pure White Wyandotte. And that's just for Red/Gold sex-links!

Then you have barred sex-links that work by mating a non-barred male like Australorp, Black Leghorn, Rhode Island Red or Ancona with barred females such as Plymouth Rocks or Cuckoo Leghorns. All the male chicks will have a white spot on the top of their heads at hatching.

That's not all either, there are several other varieties of crosses that will produce sex-linked chicks. The list is pretty extensive! [​IMG]

3. MyPerfectChicken

Jul 19, 2007
    PA
    Thank you sooo much for that imformation!!!! You wouldn't believe how much thats helped! and it sounds like fun to with all those differant sex links [​IMG]

4. Chickfever

Chickfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    Ella

I wasn't aware that there were numerous ways to get sex-linked chicks. Is there anywhere I can find all the combinations?

5. MyPerfectChicken

Jul 19, 2007
    PA
    I 2 would be very insterested in a list if possible [​IMG]

6. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry, I don't know of any official list. I've just picked up the info here and there.

There are some other forums that deal with genetics, like here: http://www.the-coop.org/cgi-bin/UBB/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=3 you can try to pick up more combo's there.

Another way to sex-link that I know of for sure is crossing a dark legged male (like an EE) to a light legged female. That produces males with light legs and females with dark legs.

Also my columbian colored males when mated to solid colored hens produce male chicks with columbian coloring while the females look like their mothers, which is the opposite of most sex-links. So I'm trying to figure that one out. I don't know if it will continue to hold true or if other factors are involved. It's an interesting subject to be sure! [​IMG]

7. MyPerfectChicken

Jul 19, 2007
    PA
    thats pretty cool! although (hehe) you've prolly just made my search for the perfect chicken longer... now you going to have me in serch of the perfect sex link!! well thank you for all your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by