1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gold sex link?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by treslilbirds, Mar 21, 2017.

1. treslilbirds

treslilbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    NorCal
    So I got all of my chicks at TSC on the same day. I'm pretty sure it was the day after the got them in, so I'm assuming they were about 2-3 days old when I purchased them (March 10).

I just want to verify if my one girl (Reba McHentire [​IMG])looks like a gold sex link pullet?? The only reason I ask is because she seems to be growing so much faster than my other girls. She's the biggest of the six, the bravest, she's always the first to jump on my hand, she was the first to sit like she's nesting, she's always acted like the "guard chicken". She sits at the front of their huddle house almost like she's watching out for everyone. And she loves perching on my shoulder and head lately. Part of me is scared someone slipped a cockerel in the pullet bin...but then again she looked just like the other gold sex link I got from the same bin. Of course now she has these dark pin feathers coming in that her sister doesn't? I tried to get a good picture but they're not having it today.

I just can't get over her size compared to the others. Even my husband made the joke, "Oops they slipped us a rooster!"
    Am I being nuts? Please tell me my girl is a....girl. I thought that was the idea behind sex links anyway. Males are one color and females another?
    Thank you in advance!

Miss Reba
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    This pic is showing some signs of a rooster but for sure does not look like a Gold sex-link----looks like its going to be a white chicken from its wing feathers.

3. treslilbirds

Mar 13, 2017
    NorCal

Oh poop...would a male chicks legs be bigger? That's another thing I noticed was her legs are, thicker? than the other girls. [​IMG]

Her (his?) wings are white yes, but there are these dark feathers coming in on its chest and around the wings. ? I keep trying to get a picture of it but I'm having a hard time.

This is a picture of the day I brought them home. That's Reba on the left and her litter mate that was in the same "Gold sex link" bin at TSC. They looked identical then.
    [​IMG]

This is my other supposed GSL. This picture is a few days old, but you can still appreciate the size difference in the two.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My goodness....well now I'm really interested in what others have to say...[​IMG]

4. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Most of the time the roosters legs will get bigger sooner that a pullet. I believe you got a Gold Sex-link Rooster that got mixed in with the pullets. In this breed I think the roosters/cockerals have a lot of white.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If she's truely a sex link, and she does look like one, then she's female.Were it a male, as a chick he would have been white, like the third chick in the pic. What is that bird?

edited cause I'm a dork sometimes.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  6. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Are you saying the Gold sex-link pullets should be white? I would think the cockerel would have been white-----so you can tell the males from females at hatch.

7. treslilbirds

Mar 13, 2017
    NorCal
    So the third chick, the white one is supposed to be one of my two leghorn pullets. They're both a pale yellow color, wings look whiter now that they're older. And the one next to her all the way to the right is one of my Rhode Island's.

8. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
  9. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    So now you are saying you got white leghorn pullets too?

10. treslilbirds

Mar 13, 2017
    NorCal
    Yes, I purchased 2 leghorn pullets, 2 Rhode Island pullets and 2 Gold sex links at TSC. But one of my GSL pullets is developing a lot faster than the others and I'm just trying to verify that I actually got a GSL pullet or not.
    I had also read that GSL cockerels are white, but now I'm not even sure I got a Gold sex link based off of another commenter. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by