Gold Sex-Links

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sequin, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I have heard about the black and the red sex-links, but haven't heard much from anyone in regards to the gold. Good? Not good? Does anyone have any pictures? I love my black australorps, but when I put in my order with Ideal I want to get gold sexlinks, ameracaunas, and production reds. This way I ought to have a pretty variety of colors(birds and eggs). However, I would love seeing pictures if anyone has any, and also any comments/advice with this breed or any of the others I have mentioned.

I apologize if this is not the right location to post this topic. And I thank you all in advance for any comments/suggestions/advice/pictures/ etc..... [​IMG]

2. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Here is a pic of my 3 golden commets when I first got them. I love them. They were 1 1/2 years old when I got them. They are super friendly, calm and lay huge eggs almost daily. They lay the largest eggs of all my chickens and are the tamest so far even tho they were older when I got them. I am down to only 1 of my original 3 girls and I got a new 8 week old. I personaly would say yes to be sure and get some. I also love a mixed flock. They make a beautiful picture when you get a variety.

[​IMG]

3. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    I also have gold sex-links and I love them. They are great layers and not too bad for roasters either after they quit laying. They are one of my favorites.

4. Sequin

May 20, 2008
    Thanks much!! That seals the deal. I am getting some. I see that they are just what I am looking for to include in my flock. Ooooo - I am in love!!! [​IMG] I am also glad to hear they make pretty good roasters. Approx. how long do they lay? I mean, about when would you consider them ready to ... you know. ?

5. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    My oldest hen Lily is 3 1/2 she lays about 3 or 4 eggs a week. None right now as she is molting. I will never eat her as she has always been my fav. and she is much smaller than the others I have had. Not much meat there. So I guess it all depends on how many eggs you require. I would say she has only slacked off from usually 6 eggs a week in the last year.
    [​IMG]

6. Sequin

May 20, 2008
    My goals for my flock are to 1. raise the healthiest chickens I possibly can within my means; 2. have enough eggs that I have a decent supply for my immediate family's needs and enough extra that they will always be fresh and I can offer them to my close friends as well; And 3. to have a constant rotation of beautiful healthy chickens that fulfill two purposes in their life(the rotating part won't start for another year or two at least). One chicken is the exception - and that is my son's chicken. Now, if I can just figure out which one that is....

Many thanks again, I really do appreciate it!!! [​IMG]

7. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    oh yeah, my GSL Missi is an awesome egg layer and is very friendly. We got her at a week old.

here are some eggs...

[​IMG]

Here is Missi at 27 weeks old.
    She is laying an egg here, while my broody
    was hatching some in the next nestbox!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Chicken713

Chicken713 New Egg

Jun 9, 2012
    I am brand new here and in the world of chickens. I live in New York and i was wondering if goldens were a good choice. Also how much do they eat?

9. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    gold sexlinks and Red sex links are one and the same(Red Sexlinks arent trully red, they look gold/orange)

10. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi Chicken713,

Welcome to the BYC forum. The gold sexlink will probably be one of the chickens with the absolute BEST feed conversion ratio of any breed. (The most and largest eggs from the least amount of feed). A good feed conversion ratio is 4 pounds of feed per dozen eggs (from Gail Damerow's book).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by