1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gold Sexlink Chicks and laying eggs in the winter

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jailbirdjulie, Oct 27, 2013.

1. jailbirdjulie

jailbirdjulie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    Bountiful Utah
    I have 3 gold sex link chicks that should be laying age in the middle of winter. I'm not planning on eating the coop but do you think they will start laying then or wait till spring? I have a cochin hen and a silkie hen that were laying pretty well but now that the days are getting shorter they have stopped laying completely. I did switch the hens to grower food since the chicks are in with them but I have been giving them oyster shell calcium. Could not feeding them layer food cause them to stop laying or do you think it's just the shorter hours of daylight?

2. jailbirdjulie

Sep 22, 2013
    Bountiful Utah
    I'm not planning on eating the coop or heating the coop! LOL!

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They will start laying this winter, but it may take a few weeks longer for them to start with the shorter days.

4. jailbirdjulie

Sep 22, 2013
    Bountiful Utah
    Cool thanks!

5. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    Please don't eat your coop, where will your birds sleep? :)

My red sex links have been laying all summer and have not slowed down at all with the cooler weather and shorter days. I have a light in the coop which may be helping.

Hope you get eggs soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by