Gold Sexlink pullet or cockerel??????

mwyland

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2015
our eggs hatched over the weekend and the black sexlinks are a no brainer as far as sexing. I am a bit confused on the gold sexlinks however ----it's our first time hatching and I am second guessing myself :)

We ended up with just 2 gold sexlinks. I am assuming the all pale yellow one is a cockerel but am not sure about the one with the orange strip down the back? does that mean its a pullet or would it need to be golden/orange all over?

The one in question is on the left in the pic Thanks so much for any insight!!

The yellow one on the right looks like it might be a rooster. My GSL that were bright yellow were pullets but the only light one turned out to be a rooster.

Sorry, should have read the whole thread before answering. Hopefully it will be a pullet.

Last edited:
Are you sure they are sex links? What breeds did you have set up in your pens to produce them?

sorry, I should have clarified, I ordered fertilized eggs from Dunlap hatchery in Idaho. They were just labeled as Golden sexlinks

Golden Sex Link is a label under which Dunlap Hatchery markets its Red Sex Links. I've ordered them from Dunlap in the past and you definitely have females. The males are much lighter in color than those. I can tell you from experience that you have some egg laying machines there. Those two will likely churn out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. The same is true of your Black Sex Link females. Did you order pullets or straight run? One of your Black Sex Links that I see in your picture appears to have a white spot on top of its black head. If so, it's a male as female BSL chicks have all black heads without the white spot.

we ordered fertilized eggs from Dunlap. so yes for the BSL we ended up with a total of 8 hatching out of 12--- well one didn't make it out of the shell but was fully formed and then we lost 2 pullets the first night so now we have 3 cockerels and 2 pullets from the BSL dozen eggs. I was super impressed with those numbers. The RSL were not as fertile. we only had 2 of those hatch

we ordered fertilized eggs from Dunlap. so yes for the BSL we ended up with a total of 8 hatching out of 12--- well one didn't make it out of the shell but was fully formed and then we lost 2 pullets the first night so now we have 3 cockerels and 2 pullets from the BSL dozen eggs. I was super impressed with those numbers. The RSL were not as fertile. we only had 2 of those hatch

I see. So the BSLs came from fertilized eggs as well. That explains the white spot on top of the head. Obviously they can't be sexed while they are still in the egg. :eek:) And you are right about the bottom chick in the very top picture. It is light like a male.

sorry, I should have clarified, I ordered fertilized eggs from Dunlap hatchery in Idaho. They were just labeled as Golden sexlinks
A lot of people mistakenly think they can breed sex links and get more sex links, I was hoping you weren't one of them! It's not often I hear of people getting eggs from hatcheries.

Back
Top Bottom