Gold Silkie drama

Chickarama1

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 19, 2016
Hi,

I'm new to this so please forgive my ignorance - it is a learning curve! I am currently raising two 7 wk old chicks and a 6wk gold silkie. I have had them all for a few weeks and they are currently inside still under a lamp in clean conditions. I have noticed in the last few days the silkie is sleeping quite a bit and seems quiet compared to the other two. It is not as active as the bigger chicks although she is eating and drinking. Is it just that she is a little bit behind the other two. If so, the age difference has suddenly become apparent. The older two probably should be going in to my barn under a lamp but I don't want to put this little one out there in case she is not quite ready. Nor do I want to separate them so I still have one chick in the house. Please help.

Is it winter where you live? Chicks usually don't require a heat source much past four weeks of age. Even Silkies should be able to handle normal summer temps without a heat lamp unless it's very cold. My chicks quit using their heat source at three weeks when the temps were still in the 70s (F).

Lethargy, (sleepiness) is a symptom of illness, but absent other symptoms, doesn't mean too much. Lack of appetite, tail held low and flat, watery, green poop, in addition to lethargy, indicates a hen that may have an infection.

Examine her crop. It may be empty or maybe it refuses to empty. She could have a fungal infection in the crop. Or if the crop is hard and refuses to empty, an impacted crop. This causes lethargy.

I advise you to go on the Emergencies forum and post there, following the stickies at the top of the page to help in diagnosing your chick.

Thanks for this - it is summer (UK - awful rain!) here so I will try to wean them off the lamp I think. She has perked up a bit in the last few hours and she is eating well now with no unusual poop which rather strangely, makes my heart sing! I am learning all the time so any advice is absolutely great!

welcome-byc.gif

Lethargy can also be a sign of overheating. At this age, they don't need heat at all and she may well be too warm. Try pulling the heat and see how she does.

Back
Top Bottom