Gold Star gender? And a barred rock...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenshet, May 18, 2011.

1. chickenshet

chickenshet Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2011
    I have a 2 week old Gold Star and I thought they were sex linked so I wasn't worried about getting a rooster, but now I am getting paranoid. It's huge compared to the other 2 chicks and it's a lot whiter than what I've been reading a female gold star should be. What are your thoughts? Also, do you think I should worry about this little Barred Rock being a roo either? It's comb is rather large too. Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Pictures are a little blury, but the BR looks to be a pullet.

3. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Yup i would say pullet on BR

4. egg_tastic

egg_tastic Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    NC Foothills
    I think the BR is a pullet. BR's seem to grow their combs faster than others from what I have seen with my own BRs.

I have three Golden Comet (red sex-link) pullets. They do not have that much white on them. Their first feathers were white but just a tip of the wing. Next they were dark red. As chicks they were darker in color too.

under a week old Golden Comet pullet
    [​IMG]

2.5 week old Golden Comet pullet
    [​IMG]

4 week old
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  5. chickenshet

Feb 20, 2011
    THanks for the info everyone! Now I am wondering what type of chicken I have if not a Gold Star. hmm...

6. chickenshet

Feb 20, 2011
    OK, I did some research and it looks like I have a male red sex link. [​IMG] Do you all think that it is the fault of the feed store for selling me a male sex link as a female?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by