Gold Star? White Leghorn?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Fernchick, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Fernchick

Fernchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2014
    Anyone have an idea what breed and sex this chick is? This chick was in a group of assorted chicks (supposedly all female) I got this week. Not sure of it's age either. Feathers are white, but down is goldish yellow. There are two Buff Orpington chicks in the group, but they are definitely darker than this one. It's a sweet little thing... really tame. :)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It may be a White Plymouth Rock or White Leghorn (I'd lean towards it being a White Rock). It will be easier to tell when it gets older and feathers in.

3. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    looks like it has a pea comb? maybe a cornish

4. Fernchick

Jan 22, 2014
    Thanks. I'll post pics again in a few weeks and check again. :)

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    White chicks are always difficult to figure out until they get older (at least for me), but I would guess that you have a White Plymouth Rock. A white Cornish is another possibility, though, as is a White Leghorn.

6. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I'm leaning toward white rock or cornish to. It seems a little to "muscular" for a white leghorn. They are very slender and long and have long legs.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Too early to tell, but my gut's saying a white Rock rooster. We should start a pool [​IMG]

8. mshuntjump

mshuntjump Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    I'd say white cornish. White rocks nor leghorns have pea combs, and a white leghorn's legs would not be so thick.

9. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I don't think that's a white Cornish. Those are pretty much impossible to find, and I don't think any hatcheries sell them. Usually they are locked up tight as part of proprietary Cornish Cross breeding programs. You can buy white laced red and dark Cornish, but not straight white. Trust me, people on the meat birds board have been wanting white Cornish for years!

It's not a Cornish X, either. Those have straight combs.

I think it will turn out to be a white Rock cockerel. Get us photos in a few weeks, and we'll do better! [​IMG]

10. Fernchick

Jan 22, 2014
    Here is the same chick a week and half later. I think the total age of the chick is about 3.5 weeks. Comb is growing a little, but still seems yellowish. He/she is more feathered out... legs are huge and not very yellow. It does a lot of rushing with lowered head gestures toward the other chicks. Kinda hoping it is just a large white rock pullet... can't keep a roo in my neighborhood. :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by