Gold vs Cream Brabanter

Wilkinsbird

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2019
SW Pennsylvania
I’m picking up a couple brabanter chicks on Friday, and I can’t seem to find a definitive answer for which color is which! 🧐 I’m looking for darker yellow/gold/brown plumage. I would assume that this would be the golden variety. However, it seems like either one can go dark or light? I’ve searched high and low but somehow I can’t seem to figure it out. Do you know which is which? Is there really that much variation within one or the other? Thanks!

I ended up purchasing golden brabanter chicks!
1585189682801.png

That photo is from 3/11. They are still very brown on the body, so it's hard to determine color. The one with the most prominent racing stripe definitely looks like she's going to be much lighter than the other two, though. I have a feeling that hatchery brabanters are just a grab bag genetically.

You can't go wrong with brabanters, even if they just hatchery stock. I have creams, and they are hands down my favorite chickens. No other breed comes even close.
Oh they're too sweet! And they have the cutest little baby hats.

Unfortunately I will have to rehome two of them once they get bigger. I knew this going in, but it's still sad! I just don't have the space for that many new chickens, but the hatch date meant I would either have to buy more than I intended to keep, or buy one very lonely scared chick. I'm rehoming two of my Appenzeller spitzhaubens as well for the same reason.

Oh they're too sweet! And they have the cutest little baby hats.

Unfortunately I will have to rehome two of them once they get bigger. I knew this going in, but it's still sad! I just don't have the space for that many new chickens, but the hatch date meant I would either have to buy more than I intended to keep, or buy one very lonely scared chick. I'm rehoming two of my Appenzeller spitzhaubens as well for the same reason.
Aren't they just the cutest?

I'd wager you end up rehoming all but your brabanters when the time comes! They are that cool.
How many chickens can you keep, total?

I have a self imposed limit of 3 out of my 7 chicks.

I can have a total of 5 more chickens without building a new coop. I have 3 each of brabanters and appenzellers, and one impulse buy blue ameraucana chick that's twice the size of everyone else (shes a very social sweetheart named Bert). I want to hatch some funky araucanas, and wanted to leave room for a couple of them.

Back
Top Bottom