Golden 300 hybrid/gold star hybrid colour question

Majorbleepbleep

Songster
Jul 2, 2020
Southern Minnesota
7 weeks ago I added two Golden 300 hybrid ducks to the flock. They came from Metzers and are healthy as can be. Semi skittish but, not unfriendly per se. Basically little jerks that will take food/treats from my hands and follow me around but, quack like hell if I try to touch them. So, exactly what I expected for temperament, lol

My ladies are super dark brown in colour with white in various places and recently began showing mild green iridescent tint to their wings. They really look like they have swedish blue as a dominant trait maybe with some Cayuga? I dont even know, lol

These guys have been around since the 90's but I cannot really seem to find any pictures of them anywhere that aren't light fawn/buff/Carmel brown. I realize they haven't even hit their first mega molt yet and understand they could change dramatically after that. Regardless, mine are gorgeous, though, I may be a bit bias 😁

Any of you guys have pics that you're willing to share of your golden hybrids
1599408636671179388459931309209.jpg
?

Attachments

• 20200906_110120.jpg
    20200906_110120.jpg
    918.6 KB · Views: 11
I've
I‘m not an expert at all, but I looked it up and I think this is a pic of a male and a female.
View attachment 2322557
I have seen this pic. It seems to be really the only pic the internet has, lol. For a awhile, based on this pic, I wad convinced they sent me drakes but, my ladies QUACK like they are being murdered when they are excited. Thats why I'm hoping for more pics :)

I have been wondering what cross makes a Golden 300 for a while because I have a Khaki/Appleyard drake who has fathered ducklings who look similar (but aren't sex-linked). I think the drake used is a Khaki Campbell and the hen is a mix of a Cayuga, Pekin, or other duck which carries the gene for black (which also has a bib) and a Silver Appleyard. I am purely guessing but many of the ducklings look like they have the Mohawk of a Restricted allele from an Appleyard. If I am close at all, you might have chocolate females. They would be black with a bib if they were male like in the picture but because they carry the sex-linked brown allele they are chocolate girls. If someone who is better at genetics/colors wants to weigh in, I would love to understand more.

Back
Top Bottom