Golden and Silver laced gender 7 weeks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wyler, Jun 12, 2016.

1. wyler

wyler New Egg

Apr 25, 2016
    First time raising chickens. They are now 7 weeks old. Incubated, so should be a pretty even split on gender. I am assuming the comb should be able to to tell me at this point the gender. Some are becoming a lot more prominent, and others are staying pretty flat. This is mostly now just for curiosity, as I plan on keeping the hens and butchering all but 1-2 roosters. I'll wait a couple of months.

Thanks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    In picture #1 I see 4 cockerels (two Silver laced and 2 Gold Laced). In the bottom picture I see two Silver laced cockerels.

3. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    I agree. The two GLWs look exactly like what my GLW rooster did when he was that age.

4. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Yep, all the ones with the more predominant and redding combs are males. That is a lot of single combs in there for Wyandottes, I would send that picture to whomever sold you those eggs. They shouldn't be selling those birds are pureblooded Wyandottes.

5. wyler

wyler New Egg

Apr 25, 2016
    Thank you for the quick responses. I probably should have labeled them. Are the ones I labeled in these pictures with R-x the ones that appear to be males?[​IMG]

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Yup [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by