Golden Blue Birchen or Lemon Blue? Guess his Genetics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by nicalandia, Nov 29, 2012.

1. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Looks blue with red leakage.
    I like him though.

3. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    would you say he is Heterozygous for the Birchen allele (ER) instead of the Extended Black E allele?

4. draye

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    It's really hard to tell on a NN.
    I have a hen that I call birchen, although you cannot see the birchen on her neck. She is by a Iowa Blue Rooster that was birchen with the lacing on the breast likethe Iowa Blues. This hen has the lacing like I.B. hens do.

5. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    well here is the Shocking truth about his genetics... He is Birchen(ER) not Extended black at all or a Extended black that is missing some melanizers, the fact is, he is a Birchen with melanizers, thats why you dont see a golden colored saddle at all,

but He is Not golden either(S/s+) you know like when you mix a gold birche(Brown Red s+) with a Silver Birchen(S ER) he is a Gold Birchen(s+/s+) just like his great grand dad, but he has thi Pheomelanin Diluter: Autosomal dominant Dilute(Di) and possibly(very high chances) Autosomal Dominant Champagne blonde(Cb) pheomelanin diluter, you see his shoulders? I just dont see autosomal red at all but the pheomelanin combo(Di and Cb) may infact be restricting Autosomal Red on him

6. draye

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    All I can say is that he'd look good in my Naked Neck run, with my Naked Neck hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by