Golden buff and baby chicks and food

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by the girls club, Aug 28, 2013.

1. the girls club

the girls club Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2013
    My question
    I have a golden buff that didn't produce so I put somboys fertile eggs under her and got 3 babies. The babies are 3 weeks old now eating and drinking all are doing well
    He's my question. The goldern buff is molting. I got her last year September 10th. I been feeding her starter chick feed So the babies could grow and eat. Could the change in feed from chick feed to layer feed started her molting. I have her serperated with the other golden buffs no other I have are molting yet. I have her seperated because she is with the baby chicks I don't want to give layer food to the baby chicks because I read that layer feed could hurt the baby chicks. Could the chick starter hurt the grown chicken?

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    The chick starter shouldn't hurt the grown chickens. She may be going thru the molt because of the sitting on the eggs. She may start laying again real soon. Some hens take a little longer or a little shorter time after hatching chicks to start laying again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by