1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Golden Buff from Meyers or Partridge rock???

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by goose chick, Apr 5, 2012.

1. goose chick

goose chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2012
    Stark County, OH
    Hi I need some help deciding... I can only have four chickens & I am having such a hard time because I have picked out five that I want & have to take one out. Help The ones I am keeping are Buff Orpington, Salmon Favorelles, Easter Egger, Partride Rock, or Golden Buff??? Any help for those who have the last three breeds would be great. Thanks so much!

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Easter eggers can lay beautiful blue/green eggs

3. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

4. goose chick

Apr 4, 2012
    Stark County, OH
    Thanks so much I am excited to be a new member!

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I will comment on the Golden Buffs. These are likely a Bovan Brown type commercial, hybrid. They are prolific layers. I wouldn't expect their life span to be anywhere near what a more traditional breed would be. So much depends on what you desire for your flock.

The Golden Buff (aka Red Sex Link) will be a consistent layer, actually, outstanding layer of large brown eggs.

[​IMG]

6. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

I don't have any experience with Golden Buffs or Partridge Rocks, but color wise I would go with the Partridge's.

[​IMG]

7. goose chick

Apr 4, 2012
    Stark County, OH
    Thanks so much. They are all four just going to be our beloved pets who will be spoiled rotten & bless us with eggs. : ) I just really wanted 4 different breeds. Since I am getting a buff orpington I am afraid that the sex link will look just like it but I noticed it is only around 4lbs. I wanted the EE because of the eggs but am reading all kinds of different things about them. Calm, loud. not as friendly I'm just confused & wondering if I should eliminate the EE & keep the Partridge Rock & Gold Buff on my order. Yikes decisions decisions.

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. goose chick

Apr 4, 2012
    Stark County, OH
    would love to hear about any experiences if you have any of the breeds I have ordered. Thanks

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good luck, they are all good breeds. :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by