1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"Golden Buff/Red Star chicks are sex-linked"--but I can't find a site that tells WHAT color they are

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TexasChickenUnv, Mar 11, 2013.

1. TexasChickenUnv

TexasChickenUnv Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2012
    DFW, TX
    I have a chick from my red star(my crazy banties love to brood, so I let them hatch out good layers. :) ). I think the daddy roo is my full Ameraucana(only other option for dad is Ameraucana/Dominique). Chick is yellow with light red tint(hoping pix posts). Any ideas if I have a boy or girl?
    [​IMG]

2. TravisE

TravisE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    fayette county wv
    sorry but there is on way to tell . the sex link gene does not breed true. it only works for 1st generation. you will have to wait to tell. like you would do with other breeds.

3. TexasChickenUnv

TexasChickenUnv Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2012
    DFW, TX
    Thanks for the quick response. Pooh, I was hoping I could tell the kids on at least one, "yes we can keep her, no I won't eat it.". We had 6 hatch out last weekend(2 banties, the RS, a GLW mix, an Australorp mix, and a SLW mix.). We lost one of the banties already, but everyone else is doing fine. We have a very patchwork quilt type of flock. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by